The Envelope

I tossed my bag onto my study table and fell onto my bed. What was I doing? I looked at my grandmother’s veena (a big lute-like string instrument) in the corner. The strings were getting discoloured.  I immediately turned the other way.  What was I really doing? I clenched my fists and got off my bed to freshen up.

I opened my books to study. I had unit tests coming up anyway so I couldn’t hurt to solve a few problems. I really had to work on my stoichiometry.  An envelope fell from the table as I scavenged for a note book.  I picked it up but someone yanked the door open “Madhu!” I jumped. It was my elder brother, Shashi.  I hid the letter behind me.

“Don’t just barge in, stupid!”

“Are you doing anything suspicious?”

“Of course I’m not! I’m trying to study.”

“Where is it?” He asked with a smirk on his face. “Where is what?” I asked.

“Whatever it is that you’re hiding.”  “I’m not hiding anything!”

He quickly reached behind me and snatched the letter from my hands. “Ooh! Maybe it is a love letter.

I tried snatching it back but he was too tall. Curses.  “Let’s see what it says huh? Aw man, I’m never going to let this go!” He opened it and read it while keeping me from taking it back.  I got ready to tackle him but he moved letting me fall face-down on my bed. He walked over to the dust bin next to my table and threw it in. “What did you do?!” I exclaimed. “What should have been done a long time ago.”

I could see that he was talking seriously. “Why?” I asked.  “That’s my line.” He said. “What gives you the right to still keep that letter? You’ve made your decision haven’t you?” I said looking away “I have…” “Being indecisive isn’t going to make this any better for you Madhu. The world isn’t going to wait for you.”  “What’s your problem? Why can’t you understand how I feel?”  He hissed angrily “You’re being selfish.”  We didn’t say anything for a while. “Go back. It’s better that staying depressed and cooped up in your room all the time.” He said. Tears welled up in my eyes “How could you say that? You know how hard that is for me.” “Get over it and go back there, Madhu. You’ll never be truly happy otherwise.” He said as he left. He stopped and spoke again “I came to say that dinner was ready.”

I walked over to my desk and picked the letter up from the bin.

Dear Madhumitha,                                                                                 Dated: 12th October 2010

I’ve read the countless letters that you’ve sent me and I must say that I’m very honoured that you think so highly of me. As you had asked, I did come to watch your debut concert last Sunday. I was very impressed! Even though you sang and played only the basic compositions, it was quite pleasant to hear. My dear girl, you are a natural. Oh, your parents must be very proud. I can see so much potential in you.

I have come to know that you are looking for a new teacher. I would be delighted to have you as a student, that is, if you’d be happy to have me as a teacher. If you are interested, do stop by the institute and meet me. God bless you.

Dr. Harshavardhan Hegde

That was five years ago.