II. Peer Pressure

“Are you going to Carly’s later?”

            He snorted. “You think I was invited?” he replied. “Besides it’s not my kind of scene.”

            I shrugged, “I have a plus one, and besides, you won’t know if you don’t try.”

            Lukas laughed loudly, “I know who I am, Rory. Trust me, I won’t enjoy it.”

            “Fine,” I sighed, packing up my textbooks and notes. “I won’t force you. But seriously, you’re going to miss out.”

            Lukas smiled in return, shoving his books in his black backpack. “The only thing I’ll miss out is you getting drunk. I hope you’ll remember everything you just reviewed today.”

            I chuckled, “I can’t not remember all our study sessions together, Lukas. You’re just too boring.” I hooked my bag on my shoulder, and pushed the chair in the table. Ever since we met in freshmen year, Luke and I have always met up in the library after school to study. Recently however, it seemed he was becoming my tutor. He was helping me study for my upcoming SAT’s. Luke took it already, and it’s no surprise he got a score above two-thousand.

            “Haha, very funny,” he rolled his eyes as we began walking out of Grandview High’s library. “But seriously, if you want to get into your dream school, I suggest you don’t go. You’re SAT’s are next Saturday. In fact, don’t party for this week and next.”

            I scoffed, walking out the library as Lukas held out the door. “It’s just one party.”

            “Yeah but, this is the SAT’s. This test determines your future,” he replied. “You told me so many times about wanting to go out of the Philippines; to Columbia University. This is your one chance.”

            “I can always take the SAT’s again, Lukas. Don’t worry too much about it.”

            I began to walk ahead, but Lukas grabbed me by the arm, turning me around to face him. “You don’t want to spend one more year with your Aunt, don’t you?” That stuck me to the core. My parents died in a plane crash when I was seven. I’ve been living with what people can somewhat say is my ‘evil step-mother,’ except an aunt.

            “I won’t fail. You’ve seen me take tests when I was hung over,” I assured. “I always pass.”

            “Yeah, but this is the SAT’s, Aurora. There is no pass. You have to do exceptionally well, especially if you want to go to Columbia University… with a scholarship too? The SAT’s are huge! They – ” I cut him off before he started rambling again. I didn’t miss out the fact he said my full name like he always does when he wants my attention.

            “Lukas,” I emphasized. “It’s just a party, and the SAT’s are next week. Let me have a little bit of fun.”

            Then he sighed, and pulled me close. He placed a soft kiss on my forehead, “Just… just don’t do anything stupid. Promise?”

            I nodded, “Promise.”

***

The party was on full-blast.

            The loud music from the gigantic speakers emitted around the crowded room. The powerful bass making the ground shake.

            Carly’s house was filled with all types of people. Some sober, some completely wasted. On her garden was the dance floor. Dozens of people grinded, jumped, and danced to the loud music. On the porch of Carly’s house laid the DJ and his wide collection of remixes of the Top 100. Inside, there were couples interlocked in intimate embraces, groups of friends chatting away, and sweaty teenagers taking a break from all the dancing.