Nebula's Past

Set Before: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Before she helped save the galaxy and before she was trained to be a sadistic killer, Nebula was just a little girl on the planet of Luphom. She was a beautiful little girl and her mother, Xira, made her compete on pageants so they can win units to be able to buy basic needs. Pageants were common for Luphomoids as it was their way to focus on the beautiful aspects of their dying planet. Nebula found it ridiculous but it put food on the table so she didn't question it. 

A day before another pageant, Nebula woke up from a bad dream. She tiptoed carefully down the glowing orange stairs to get some snacks to help her go back to sleep. As she turned the kitchen lights on, she was caught by Xira.

"Aren't you supposed to be in the middle of your beauty sleep?" said Xira.

"I had a bad dream about sakaarans again" Nebula replied.

Xira grabbed a box of puffies and put some in a bowl.

"Just one okay?" said Xira.

Nebula got a spoon and started eating while telling her mom all about her dream. Xira reassured her daughter that she will never have to worry about sakaarans as she will always protect her from them.

"The only monster you have to worry about is if your no-good father ever decides to come back from Kitson" Xira joked.

Kitson was a planet with a poor reputation due to the presence of its brothels and gambling establishments. Nebula continued eating as the joke flew over her little blue head. Once she finished, Xira took her back to her room and tucked her in. She then swept the blonde locks covering Nebula's eyes to the side and said "Tomorrow you are gonna win as you always do because you are the most beautiful little princess in the galaxy". Nebula playfully rolled her eyes and giggled. Joining another stupid pageant may be ridiculous but Nebula loved how happy it made her mom.

The next morning, Nebula woke up excited. She prepared all the things she needed for the pageant and ran downstairs. She called out to her mom but no one answered. She went to every room and her mom was nowhere to be found. She looked at the clock and she was about 10 minutes away from being off schedule. She sat in front of the holo-screen to pass time while waiting for her mom. She was getting worried. She flipped through the channels to look for her favorite Xandarian cartoons when all the channels suddenly started broadcasting an alert. Nebula put the controller down and paid attention. It seems that the planet of Zen-Whoberi, had been massacred by the Mad Titan, Thanos and his army. That planet was the home of her future sister, Gamora. Nebula's heart dropped for a second, imagining herself in that position. She turned the holo-screen off and sat in shock. It was silent for a whole minute when Xira opened the door and made Nebula jump out of shock. Nebula ran to her mom, crying. Xira told her she was just out, buying some snacks for the pageant. Nebula told her about the news and Xira reassured her that everything will be fine.

"We are at least 12 jump points away from Zen-Whoberi, he will never go here" Xira reassured.

Xira tried to distract Nebula on the way out of the house and on the way to the pageant. Deep down, Xira was also afraid. Luphom was the perfect candidate for the Mad Titan's next target. It's resources were depleting and overpopulation was rampant. Lots of Luphomoids were jumping ship every single day, including her ex-husband, Zorr. Xira really needed Nebula to win that day so she can finally afford a way out of the planet for her and her daughter. A spot on the Ark was really expensive and was usually saved for the wealthiest residents of the planet. Xira stopped the car and led Nebula backstage. They arrived just in time before the pageant started. For a moment, Nebula was distracted by the crowd cheering for her. She didn't miss a single beat and even answered every question as adorably as she could. The stage felt like a safe space for her to feel true happiness. For even just a short time, the fear was in the back of her mind. As the emcee was ready to announce the winner, Nebula closed her eyes. Her heart was beating fast but she was still excited. This however, was cut short.

Nebula quickly opened her eyes to the sound of deafening screams. The shadow of the Mad Titan's ship quickly enveloped the planet. Hundreds of Q-shaped ships started landing at a rapid rate. 

"Nebula!" Xira yelled from a distance.

She grabbed her daughter's hand and quickly ran towards a hiding spot. A huge beam then appeared at the center of the planet. Nebula quickly poked her head up to take a peek. A large purple man with golden armor came out of the beam, carrying a green little girl, around Nebula's age. 

"Mom, the Mad Titan captured a little girl" Nebula said while panicking.

"Keep your head down, princess, we'll be okay" Xira warned nervously.

Nebula took another peek and saw the little green girl looking afraid.

"Mom, we have to save her" said Nebula.

"Nebula, she's as good as gone, my priority is to protect you" Xira replied.

Nebula disobeyed and ran. Xira watched in horror as her daughter ran into open fire. Suddenly, Thanos ordered his men to stop shooting at the little girl's direction.

"Let her go" Nebula yelled at him.

Xira's heart was beating really fast. She was finding it hard to suppress her screams. She was afraid for her life and that a whimper would cause a misfire to her daughter. 

"Another fearless little one, I see" Thanos exclaimed as he put Gamora down.

Nebula asked if she was okay. Gamora then looked back up at her new adoptive father.

"You seem brave" said Thanos.

Nebula didn't budge even though her worst fears were coming true.

"I could always use more brave warriors at my disposal" Thanos grinned.

"But sire, she's too young to be useful" said Ebony Maw, the Mad Titan's right hand man.

Thanos still ordered him to take her inside the ship. Ebony Maw grabbed her hand and she started yelling. He used his telekinetic powers to shape a rebar around her jaw to form a muzzle. Nebula turned her head to look around for her mom one last time but she was nowhere to be found. Once inside the ship, Ebony Maw removed the makeshift muzzle and it accidentally sliced off some of Nebula's blonde locks. Ebony Maw started laughing menacingly as Nebula started crying. 

"Brave Warrior? You seem more pathetic than that girl he picked up from Zen-Whoberi" Ebony Maw exclaimed.

He went back outside after leaving Nebula at the throne room. Nebula tried to find an exit but was blocked by two Chitauri soldiers. She looked at her reflection at one of the puddles on the floor. Her hair was now as short as her mother's. 

"You are the most beautiful little princess in the galaxy" Xira's words echoed inside Nebula's head.

That day started the worst part of her life. In her many years of training, Nebula hated every modification Thanos cursed her with but the worst part of it was that she slowly lost her resemblance to her mother. She missed her so much that she tried to get the Mad Titan's approval every chance she got but she could never please him like she used to with her mother. The worst part was she never even knew if Xira survived or not. This was part of the many burdens Nebula carried throughout the years. 

However, there was a time when Nebula was finally free that she tried to find out what happened to her mother but that story is saved for another time... Stay tuned for more Untold Tales of Heroism.