twenty-three

(1:15pm)

"Oh no! He suddenly remembers. It's Mrs. Rabbit's birthday!" Chaeyoung read out loud with a surprised expression. Her kids gasped along with her on the floor in front of her.

She shows the pictures of the book to her young ones and they both express their disappointment for the character.

"How can he forget birthday?!" Kyong asked loudly, pointing at the picture.

"Now she's will think he does not love her. He loves job too much." Mi Cha explains, crossing her arms with her small lips forming a pout.

"They are going places." Hyuna jumped in, her phone wedged between her ear and shoulder as she walked passed them for the third time. She was just pacing slowly down the open area while she talks on the phone with her boyfriend.

Chaeyoung gave her a look with a small smile before proceeding to read. "What can he give her-"

"Chisoo!" Kyong yelled out, waving exciting at the woman on the top level.

Chaeyoung and Mi Cha both turned their heads at the said woman whose face was slightly red from getting noticed. She waved shyly at the three and used the railing to walk down the stairs.

"Mi Cha. Wanna finish the story to your brother?" Chaeyoung held out the book for her to take and her daughter took it with a smile.

"Kyong-ah! Look at the carrots!" Mi Cha pointed out once she laid the book flat on the floor. Kyong ooed and ahh, the two not even reading the book but instead are looking at the illustrations more instead.

"You must be done counting the money?" Chaeyoung questioned when Jisoo made it to the couch. The older nodded and sat down beside the mother in a close distance but still gave her space.

"Are we down this month or are we stable?"

Jisoo leaned back on the couch and crossed her feet, staring back at her friend with kind eyes and not staring ones.

"Well, that means money went well this month right?" Chaeyoung nervously chuckled, running her hands through her long light brown hair as she looked down. The two didn't say anything after a few long seconds.

"Kids?" Jisoo spoke in soft, almost hushed tones. She changed her view to the youngers laying on the floor with a book in front of them. Her heart smiled.

"Oh. They are doing great. They are always excited to see you." Chaeyoung also looked down at her kids momentarily before going back to Jisoo.

"I... am always excited to see you." Pink sprinkled across Chaeyoung's cheeks as she adverted her eyes away. Talking to her was always hard for the single mother. She didn't want to say the wrong thing or make her uncomfortable.

Jisoo reached out and ran her fingers through Chaeyoung's hair, her hand caressing Chaeyoung's cheek afterwards. This simple action made Chaeyoung look at her with an agape mouth.

"Me too." Jisoo responded, her lips going up to a half smile but it was genuine. All her smiles that goes towards the woman in front of her were genuine.

"Jisoo-"

"GUYS THERE ARE TRUCKS IN THE FRONT AND IT'S NOT OURS!" Hyuna practically screamed as she rushed Dawn off the phone and ran to the gun stash under the upstairs walkway.

The kids went extremely quiet as well as the girls on the couch, processing what was just said before Jisoo made the first move and jogged to the light switch to turn it off.

Chaeyoung finally snapped our of her frozen state and gathered all of her children things -which were mainly books and their tablets- and hid them underneath the couch she was on.

"Come on kids, we have to do protocol." Chaeyoung commanded calmly, double checking everything kids related wasn't in sight. Mi Cha grabbed the book they were reading with one hand and held out her other hand for Kyong, who hurriedly taken it.

"Our friends back?" Kyong asked, being taken away from his sister.

"No, it's the baddies. We have to hide." Mi Cha told him, continuing to drag her little brother to behind the stairs. Chaeyoung followed behind after turning on all of her equipment.

"Okay my loves, what do you do if I don't come back to you?"

"Don't let anyone in basement." Mi Cha answered

"Unless its our friends. Right?"

"Right!" Kyong replied with a smile.

"Mi Cha. You know what to do when things go bad remember?"

Mi Chae nodded her head, her face not showing any expression as she tightly grabbed her brother's hand.

"Good. I'll be back as soon as I can okay?" Chaeyoung kneeled down and held her kids as if they would be gone the second she lets go. She gives them both a kiss on their forehead before pulling up the basement door and helping them inside. Once they are inside, she closes the door and slides over the false flooring on top.

"How many trucks did you spot Hyuna?" Chaeyoung asked, running over to the computers.

"Two or three? I don't know, it was just a quick look!" Hyuna, with a rifle around her body and two pistols in each hand, she runs up the stairs and uses her rifle as a scope to see through the windows Taehyung and Jungkook couldn't reach to board up. Two trucks so far were at the edge of the forest, just sitting there.

Hyuna wants to call Hoseok to let them know what's going on but she doesn't want it to affect what they have going on over there. She doesn't want the warehouse and their group to be in shambles again.

"Going through the back door!" Hyuna called out, jogging down the stairs and to the back door without hearing Chaeyoung's pleads to stay inside.

"Lock it behind me Jisoo." Then she was out, Jisoo locking it behind her.

"Why does this happen when my fucking kids are here? Why couldn't they pick a day when they aren't here? Curse them, curse them all." Chaeyoung complained, putting her face in her hands in frustration.

Jisoo went up to her and tucked Chaeyoung's hair behind her ear, getting her attention. She pulls her up from the chair and hugs her. Chaeyoung hugs back with 2x the force, not wanting to let go and letting a few tears out of her brown eyes.

Jisoo pulls away first, placing her hands on both sides of Chaeyoung's face and connected their foreheads together. Chaeyoung loved with Jisoo did subtle but adoring things like this, it comforts her and tells her that they will be alright.

They both backed away at the same time, Jisoo giving her a small smile before going to the gun stash to figure out a gun.

Chaeyoung breathed in and out before sitting down on the chair again and scan through her screens.

"Okay, they are coming out of their trucks with guns by their side. It seems like they didn't' come here to talk." Chaeyoung informed, not knowing if Hyuna grabbed a talkie or not.

Jisoo's head sparks an idea as she grabs the only sniper and runs up the stairs, her barefeet going pitter patter throughout the warehouse.

"We. Fine." Jisoo reassures Chaeyoung one last time before going up the ladder to the roof, leaving Chaeyoung by herself inside.

Chaeyoung steadies her breathing, only thinking happy and positive thoughts with her eyes not leaving the screen.

We will be okay.