chapter seventy-two

season two ; episode nine { Trapped }
chapter seventy-two

season two ; episode nine { Trapped }chapter seventy-two

THE PIN SNAPPED, THE WOOD FELL AND OUT CAME THE CROSS. Pope was awfully quick to roll himself away and when he did, everyone followed in pulling themselves away as the cross landed on its front in the pile of cushions.

Brooklyn tried to catch her breath, grateful that it hadn't fallen on anyone. "Pope, you okay?"

JJ fell to Pope's side, shaking his arm as he hadn't moved from the floor. "Yeah, I'm good. Just give me, like, one second to, like, catch my breath."

"You did it, Pope," John B says.

The two boys placed their hands on the cross, feeling actual gold at their fingertips. Gold that was probably worth a whole lot more than the four hundred million bars worth. "Pope, she's... she's beautiful," JJ says. Brooklyn furrows her eyebrows at the boy and laughs softly. "Don't you think?"

"She's magnificent," Brooklyn says, placing a hand on top of it.

"I've never seen anything like it."

"The detail is insane." Brooklyn runs her fingertips over the dents and grains in it. It felt odd to feel this much gold in her hand, to feel the texture of something worth so much. It was strange.

"Well, here's why Limbrey wanted that key so bad," John B says, placing his finger over the small keyhole in the centre.

"Whoa. Good find. How much do you think she's worth?" JJ asked. "Like, if we melted her old bones down, dude, I'm talking like high billions."

"This belongs in a— No! This belongs in a museum,"

He had a point. Something this beautiful belonged in a museum with all the other beautiful objects. Brooklyn always wanted to go a museum because she would love to just walk and admire all the artwork and the sculptures and the objects. She could see this gold cross being in a museum.

"What? So no one sees her?"

"In a museum where everyone sees it."

"Are you kidding?"

"Hey! It's my ancestors' cross!" Pope yells from his spot by the pews.

"Right, okay. All right, all right. Well..."

"This is bigger than money, and the world's gotta know the truth," Pope says.

"Yes. If we don't get this shit outta here before Limbrey gets here, nobody's gonna know. So saddle up," John B tells the whole group to prepare. Carrying this thing is gonna be a workout, a workout that Brooklyn didn't like.