Ch 5 - 2

"Heather?"

Her head cocks to one side, a slight puzzled frown on her face. Senkath scratches the side of his forehead, even more bewildered. She looks crestfallen and her head dips down. When she speaks, it's a quiet murmur.

"I'm sorry—were you expecting someone?"

Senkath's eyes flash wide and his face turns hot with embarrassment. "No... I wasn't. I'm sorry. You reminded me of someone in my past."

With her shoulders hunched over, she looks so frail that he wishes to rush over, pat her on the head, and soothe her gently. As he inches closer for a better look, he realizes that the jeweled lighting of the chandelier had deceived him. Besides a similar slender, slightly rounded physique that she shared with Heather, she had much longer silvery-white hair. The fingernails that Heather made sure to trim down (as a scientist, she emphasized practicality over all) were curved and lengthy on the woman before him. She had them painted a glistening opaque white that shined the scarce light at him. Oh god, he thinks to himself. Maybe I haven't let go. Is Heather still the only person on my mind?

Senkath bends his head over in apology, rubbing his hair and twirling the swirly edges in his fingers.

"Um... can we start over? I'm Senkath."

She bounces back immediately and a radiant smile flashes brightly from her.

"It's nice to meet you. You see—I wouldn't know what to do if you had someone else waiting for you. The last person I was with left me, so I've had problems with abandonment ever since... oh! Where are my manners? My name is Marinette, but you can call me Mary if you wish. It's such a long and unusual name, you know? I think my parents must have been drunk when they named me."

Senkath stares for a moment, awestruck, suddenly unable to think. Inside him, something warm buzzes around. He tries to stifle it, but breaks out into a fit of coughs and laughing.

Marinette pouts adorably, eyes glaring. "Haha. I get it. I'm weird. Happy? I don't get what's so funny."

He waves his free hand (the other is clutching his chest as he steadies his breath); taking a few breaths and wiping a tear from his eyes, he smiles fondly at her kindly, without derision. Feeling her eyes pierce through her, she blushes and her eyes dart to the side, unable to meet his gaze.

"It's just... Marinette is such an ugly name." She immediately breaks into a tearful smile as if blinking away tears.

"You really think so? I always thought it was weird... but to think there are people like you who'd love me for who I am... it really makes me feel happy to have you think my name is beautifu-"

Her smile drops and her head flicks at him in feigned betrayal. Tsk, she sighs.

Senkath laughs more.

"You're even funnier than I thought! Did you really want me to compliment you that badly? Well then, since you're so fond of it, I guess Marinette it is!"

With an audible hmph! and her arms crossed across her dress, she tilts her head upwards so as to look slightly down on him.

"Come on... don't be like that. I'm just joking, ok? I think it's a pretty name, but even if you had a weird name, would it really matter? I know absolutely nothing about you, but from what I know, you're pretty amazing. Don't beat yourself up over this." Senkath moves over and motions to sit next to her. She moves her legs to the side and he sits. The distance between them closes. "Just so we're clear, I'm not going anywhere." He extends his hand towards her head, finding a loose strand of hair and brushing it down across the side of her face and to the edge of her shoulder. It feels soft and airy. He rests two fingers on the side of her cheek and lifts her head slightly, angling it toward him. His eyes lock with hers. Her hand moves up to caress his, their fingers entwining. They are just inches away from each other. "I'll devote everything to you."