Chapter 2

The guards flung Brie into the dark room and quickly shut the door behind them. She heard their footsteps fade away as she pounded against the large wooden panels. Shaking the doorknob, she realized it was no use. They had locked her in.

Allowing her eyes to adjust, Brie looked around. Moonlight shining from the open-aired windows lit up against a large white wardrobe and a golden framed bed. A familiar face stared at her inside a glass casket hanging over a matching vanity. The room had a strange sense of nostalgia about it -- an elegance that somehow reminded her of her mother. 

The mirror twinkled in the starlight as Brie moved towards the middle of the room, her boots clicking against the hard floor. 

So this was it. She was gonna be locked up here in some lunatic's house with no way of knowing if she would ever make it out alive.

But all hope isn't completely lost. She knew her father would call the police as soon as he got home and... well that was only if the man kept his word. For all she knew they could've taken him out back and....

No, no! Don't think that. He's fine. Everything is fine. Everything's gonna be okay.

A soft, respectful knock came from the door.

Brie stared at the door, not knowing to say "come in" or just to wait for the person to let themselves in. 

The doorknob twisted and clicked as the door slowly swung open. A tall, but thick-boned lady entered with a small boy by her side, both their hair the color of chestnuts. Two men, one slightly shorter --but still taller than Brie-- followed them in as well. The taller was dressed in yellow, with long white hair pulled back into a low ponytail. The shorter armored head to toe and had trailing brown hair with two small braids that swung behind both of his ears.

The lady set down a tea kettle on the table by the bed and offered a cup to Brie.

"No, thank you." Brie cautiously sank onto the bed. For all she knew it could be poisoned.

"Can I have some then, Ammë?" the boy asked.

"No!" She playfully swatted his hand when he tried to reach for the kettle. "It is for our guest, whether she wants it now or later."

"Forgive us, mime héri," the taller one took her hand and kissed it gently. "But we have been without visitors for so long."

"What do you mean? Has he kidnapped you guys as well? Are we all being held hostage?"

"No, no. I'm afraid you are gravely mistaken." The short armored one answered. "We live here. We work for the King."

"King?" Brie raised her brow. That's it. She lost it. Surely when Sam had dropped her off she passed out on her bed and now she was dreaming. But she didn't remember ever making it past her bedroom door. Looking for her father in the woods, then coming here... it had been so real.

"Yes. And it is by King Thranduil's command that we are here for your disposal. He desires you to be most comfortable." The woman once again offered her tea.

Brie denied it again. Thranduil? That was a strange name. Even more strange was the familiarity of it...

"I am Luthais, headmaster of the palace staff." The tall one bowed and place a fist over his heart. "And this is my good friend Connak."

Connak, the shorter one, bowed and did the same gesture. "Captian of the Guard at your service, mime héri."

"And these are Dessielle and her son, Castien." Luthais held out his hand for them to bow. "They work in the kitchen."