14

Chapter 14

When Jackson arrived at home there was a message waiting for him from Jensen. It told him that a set of twins has been found in Dartford. They were six months old and were adopted by the Duke and Duchess of Dartford at a month old. Jackson knew he had to tell Paysley but he was not sure he wanted to tell her until after the ball. He did not want her to think she had gotten it wrong. The last thing he needed was for her to sulk at her sister's party.

When Paysley walked into the ballroom all eyes were on her. She was wearing a silver ball gown with pink roses placed on the sleeves and on the right side of the waist. Her hair was done in ringlets and adorned with the same pick roses that she wore on her dress. Jackson had been told what color she was wearing tonight so they could match was wearing a velvet tailcoat suit in gray with a rose-colored vest embroidered with silver thread. When Fenton brought Paysley over to Jackson and gave her to him he was speechless she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. The music began to play and he swept her out onto the dance floor.

"You look beautiful tonight my lady?"

"Thank you, your grace. I feel extra beautiful tonight thanks to the way you are looking at me."

"It is how I will look at you for the rest of our lives. I am surprised to hear me say these words, to anyone one, but they feel right saying them to you. I love you Paysley."

When they walked off the dance floor they were met by Felicity who was ready to say something to Paysley about her tears but after one look at the Duke, she decided to not say anything. Instead, she leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. Justin did as well and then they moved on to the next couple who was waiting to wish them well. The night was long and they barely had a moment to themselves. There were so many high-profile guests. After all who would turn down an invitation from the prime minister.

Jensen and Johanna were able to give the couple a few moments away from the crowd when they went off to get some air. Jackson was hoping Jensen would not bring up the message but that was too much to hope for.

"Did you get my message?"

Paysley could hear Jackson groan. She knew there was something they all knew and she had been left out of the loop.

Jensen knew immediately he had said too much. There was nothing he could do about it now he was going to have to tell her what the message was.

"I got a message at Madams there is an older couple who adopted a set of twins five months ago. It is the Duke and Duchess of Dartford. They were never able to have children and they wanted them so much. There was also the fact they have no family to carry on the title. They asked the King permission to pass the title on to the little boy and it was granted."

Paysley forgot that Jackson had not told her about the message she was excited that they might just have found the twins alive. Her biggest fear was they were real and she had killed them as she had done to her family. The problem was what would happen to the babies if they were the Viscounts would the Duke and his wife have to give them back? This complicated thing's but she was only asked to find them not worry about their future.

"We must go to Dartford tomorrow to see if they are the twins we are looking for."

He smiled at her and nodded. He did not want to call her attention to the fact he had kept this from her. Before the end of the night, Justin and Felicity were to announce the engagement and welcome Jackson to the family with a toast. Paysley was happy she had no interaction with her sister except the time she kissed her on the cheek. There was no family drama all was as it should be. She had to wonder if the boys threatened her. It would not surprise Paysley if they had done so. Since Paysley was going home with Fenton tonight Jackson and Paysley went off to Justin's study to make their plans for tomorrow's adventure.