Chapter Fifty

Coulson lead them through the sliding doors and down the ramp into....Base. The base that this version of Shield had been using all along was just a model of their current one back home. Well, at least this one was significantly less blown up. Asia exchanged a glance with Daisy and shrugged. This was the only base Aida had ever seen - it made sense she made it a base here, too. Asia wondered what prevented Aida from just storming in here and killing people. Well, right now it was probably a severed spine. She smirked slightly to herself at the thought.

"Thank goodness you're alright," Ward said, jogging up, eyes locked on Daisy. "We've been combing up every street looking for the two of you, ever since we heard about your breakout."

Daisy smirked, resting a hand on Asia's shoulder. "We can take care of ourselves."

"Alright, well, Agent May, let's go get a look at your body cam footage," Coulson changed the subject. "Whatever you have one there could really help the cause. People need to see it."

"I'm going to go find Jemma," Asia said, nodding to Ward and Daisy and trying to move for the Lab, but Ward held up a hand to stop her. Her eyes narrowed and flicked up towards him.

"She's gone, on a recon mission with Agent Triplett," He explained with a shrug. "Not sure when they'll be back either."

"Trip?" Asia asked, a smile crossing over her face as she turned to look at Daisy. Trip was alive here. And he was with Jemma, which didn't surprise Asia in the least. Those two would always be drawn to one another, no matter where they were. The two women couldn't help but beam at each other. This was one good thing to come out of this mess. Just one. Jemma would get to say goodbye, something which had been ripped away from her before.

"What did you want to talk to her about anyways?" Ward asked, eying them each nervously which caused Asia's brow to furrow. What did he care? The only person in this situation that he knew was Daisy, and he only knew the Framework version of her.

"It's nothing special," Asia offered with a shrug, but Ward's eyes were focused on Daisy in a look that Asia recognized all too well - he was searching for answers and he wouldn't stop until he got them.

"She told me about this whole other world thing," he said, still focused on Daisy, who pressed her lips together and nodded uncomfortably. Now his twenty questions made a lot more sense. "Is that what you really believe?" he asked, watching Daisy as if she were the only person in the whole entire base. Asia could tell by the look in his eyes, the way he spoke, that this question and its answer could break him in half. And there was a part of her that ached for him - this Ward had never known the things he had done in the real world, the betrayals. But he also didn't know her friendship, so what was the point?

"Yea," Daisy said after a moment, nodding to herself, glancing down at her feet. Asia watched the emotions play over Ward's face as if they were in slow motion, as if he weren't a super spy. As if his assassin training hadn't taught him to hide those away. "I need you to trust me, Ward," Daisy continued. "Because I know a way for us to get back home."

Ward paused for a moment, before he pressed his lips together in a sad smile. There was a part of Asia that wanted to hug him. There were so few times in her life she had seen Ward that way, and every time before, she had been his support system. The Framework was such a mindfuck. "Yea...but by us, you don't mean me," Ward said quietly, shaking his head. "I guess I was just holding out hope that this was all just a delusion of a scientist suffering from some major PTSD, still hoping you'd be the girl I knew." He looked at her for a moment, before he put his hands in his pockets and nodded to himself. "I'm glad you're safe," he said, before turning and walking away, down a hall, back turned to them both.