16: Night

.

.

At first, Atsumu didn't like Rei— his words and actions were obvious enough. Rei's presence during practice had interfered with the performance of his spikers, and it had rubbed the setter the wrong way. And when the sitter made him, of all people, kneel in public as punishment, he had sworn to take his revenge.

Yet... what the fuck am I doing 'ere in his room?!

Moments before, from what Atsumu deduced, it seemed like Rei had a momentary breakdown. The sitter had been about to look for his cousin when Atsumu popped up outside his room. Atsumu was surprised— of course he was!— when Rei reached out to him and embraced him tight.

After that, Rei had pulled him inside the room, forcefully made him sit on the bed, and... the sitter lied his head on Atsumu's laps.

God, what the fuck did he do to deserve this torture-slash-blessing in his life? "Rei... Rei-san?" Cursing at himself for stuttering, he glanced down with every bit of his willpower. If he didn't manage himself, Atsumu was certain he wouldn't be awake right now due to how nervous he was. "Y-Ya... what're ya doin'?"

"Tryna sleep."

"..." That left him speechless. Then, wouldn't it better if Atsumu left already?! Why did Rei lie his head on his laps without giving any reason?! The unanswered question was enough to make Atsumu restless. "Lil Fox, stop movin' 'round already."

With that same husky and low voice that made Atsumu weak in the knees, the setter stiffened up, his back straight and shoulders tense. The nickname Lil Fox had his heart racing, and the way Rei's arm snaking around Atsumu's waist made him oh-so flustered.

He could practically feel his own body temperature heat up, avoiding paying any sort of attention to the man treating him as a pillow.

A very comfortable pillow.

Through that tiny gap of his shirt, Atsumu felt Rei's warm breath caressing the skin of lower abdomen, causing him to tense up even more. Stop, he begged internally. Rei-san, yer killin' me! Yer def'nitely killin' me 'ere! Are ya tryna murder me?!

Yet, his internal cries were never heard. Atsumu stayed still, even when he had an itchy back. What if he disturbed Rei? What if he woke him up? Rei had fallen asleep the moment the setter stopped moving and with Rei lying on his thighs, Atsumu dreaded the fact that he might stay up all night just to not disturb his crush's rest.

Shit, I need some back-up. I hafta call Samu or Suna tah help me. But his phone was on his left pocket, and if he tried to get it, he might bother the slumbering man. His situation caused Atsumu to cry crocodile tears, his legs slowly going numb the more he stayed in place without moving an inch.

He was saved, however, when the bedroom door creaked open. "Rei," Shinsuke's voice called out, causing Atsumu to sweat in terror. "Sorry, I got—" the moment the captain opened the door more, he saw the sight of a sleeping Rei laying his head on a crying Atsumu.