CHAPTER VII

Zill flapped his wings as he descended to the ground, holding one of D'kala and Kia's wrists in each of his hands. Setting them down gently, he folded his wings and followed the Felinians as they scampered quietly into Z.P.A. The front doors were busted, having been pried open by someone with enormous strength.

"So you said it was a vampire lady with bright red hair, huh?" Zill asked as he led the way through the school halls. "Sounds like Queen Venganza. She was here last week." Sounds of a scuffle rang out in the distance, acting as a compass for the trio of students.

"She said she was here to 'reclaim her minion' or something," Kia told Zill. "Any idea what that might mean?"

"Uh-huh. Last week, one of her pals—who happens to be the older brother of two students here—he got captured by Mr. Zechariah and Carrie," Zill explained. "He's her closest ally, or so the story goes. I wouldn't doubt that she's here to get 'im back." He paused at a corner and held up his hand. "Wait here. I'll check it out." He unfurled his wings again and shot around the corner, disappearing from sight.

D'kala and Kia peeked around the corner, where they were met with a spectacular sight.

Near the end of the short hallway was Carrie's office, and through the open door, the two Felinians could see Vice Principal Zechariah, Carrie, and the recently-arrived Zill scrapping with the vampire queen ("Venganza", as Zill had called her), a vampire wolf, and the zombie vampire minions that had followed their queen.

And, surprisingly, they saw Cameron Walden huddled in a corner of the room with a look of sheer terror on her face.

"So what's the move here, DK?" Kia asked, eyes wide and fixated on the scene.

"I'm not sure," D'kala answered, "but it looks like Mr. Zechariah is attempting to keep Venganza and her minions contained in that room."

"So should we help 'em or what?"

"I think we should stand by in case—"

"Y'know what? I'm goin' in." Kia dashed away from her hiding place, an eager expression on her face. "Let's RUMBA!"

"Kia!" D'kala cried, running after her.

Inside Carrie's office, the caretaker and Zill wrangled Simon and the zombie vampires while Zechariah and Venganza traded attacks with otherworldly speed. One was attempting to escape the room with her minions; the other using his speed and power to hold her back.

"You'll get out of my way if you know what's good for you, Zechariah!" Venganza yowled, slashing at Zechariah's muzzle with her claws.

Zechariah jerked backward and responded by whipping Venganza across the face with his prehensile tail. "That's not going to happen!" he retorted. "You'll remain here until the Pacts are restored!"

Venganza cackled. "As if you could restrain us that long!" she sneered. "We—eh?!" She broke off as D'kala and Kia burst into the room in their panther forms, yellow eyes blazing in the darkness. "What? The new Peacekeepers?!" she shrieked.

Zechariah whirled around, shocked. "D'kala! Kia! What are you doing here?" he cried. "It's not safe! You can't—UNFH!"

Venganza backhanded Zechariah away and rose into the air, fixing the new Peacekeepers with a terrifying glare. "FOOLISH CHILDREN!" she roared. "You will NOT interfere with our plans!" With a hungry screech, she lunged toward the students, claws outstretched.

"Oh, no ya don't!" Carrie lashed her whip, wrapping up Venganza and hauling her backward in midflight.

D'kala and Kia attacked at the same time, launching themselves on top of Venganza and pinning her down. "We've got 'er, Mr. Z!" Kia called. "She won't be goin' anywhere!"