~ Chapter Twelve ~

Real quick before the chapter, I responded to a ton of comments today but I know I didn't hit them all. If I didn't get to you, I'm sorry, but just know that all of you reading this mean the world to me! I look at everything you guys say / every vote so really thanks so much. 

Okay, cheesiness over! Now back to your regularly scheduled story.

Ocean waves lap against my legs as I stand up to my shins in the surf. My trousers are rolled up to my knees, keeping them safe from the cool water. A breeze flows off the open ocean, rolling toward the shore. I close my eyes, tweaking its path so that the wind parts around me, savoring the feel of my gift rolling through my veins.

Slowly the tide recedes, creating swirling eddies of sand between my toes. It's softer than I ever expected. I realize now that I've never touched sand before, not when I was crossing the fold and certainly not on the Ravkan coast when I was running from the army.

Bending down I trace my fingers through it, leaving deep gouges to be washed away by the sea.

The Novyi Zem coast is different from Ravkas. The port is quieter, not filled with bustling tradesmen but almost silent as the waves roll over the crystal clear waters. I have a feeling Nikolai chose this town for just that reason, somewhere there was no chance of running into another Ravkan vessel.

"I hope you're not thinking of swimming back to Ravka after I brought you all the way here."

I turn, my gaze falling on the figure who stands just out of the tide's reach. Nikolai has his hands shoved into his pockets, the sleeves of his captain's jacket rolled up to his elbows. His teasing hazel eyes are fixed on me.

I was, in fact, thinking of Ravka, though no part of me was hoping to return.

"Just enjoying the view," I whisper softly. Water laps at my ankles as I step back toward the shore, toward him, though my thoughts are still drifting across the sea.

A sly grin takes over his face as his gaze lingers, "So was I."

Heat takes over my face. I try to splash him, kicking out at the waves, but Nikolai dances out of range. His grin doesn't fade even as I race toward him. When I hit the beach I reach down and scoop up a handful of sand, intent on smushing it into his perfect hair.

I'm inches from him when the Prince ducks aside, grabbing my waist and lifting me from my feet. A surprised laugh escapes my lips as he swings me around, my handful of sand sprinkling harmlessly to the ground.

Nikolai holds me fast, spinning us until I'm dizzy with it. The world beyond is blurred and I can see nothing but him.

When he finally slows we're both grinning. He lowers me down until the tips of my toes brush the sand, my face inches from his. I can feel the whisper of touches between us. The kiss of his hair against my cheek, the brush of his hand against my waist, and with each breath the soft rhythm of his heart.

Reaching up, I link my arms around his neck, gazing into the same eyes I loved for so many years. Missing him was the only thing I knew how to do. Now that he's here it's like a dream, one I know I'll have to wake from soon. We're here, after all, Novyi Zem, and we can't pretend that won't change everything.

Nikolai leans down, his lips brushing against mine and I decide maybe we can ignore reality for just a bit longer.

Rising on my toes, I weave my hands into his hair and pull him down to me. His lips are on mine with more force this time. I can feel the desperation behind it, the longing as he lifts me from the sand. Neither of us want to face the truth that's staring us down. That this is where we part.