❁a sin comin' on

"Give me tall dark and handsome,
Mix it up with something strong
I feel a sin (I feel a sin) comin' on"

❁sin comin' on

 After a long, patient walk at the beach, John had taken his family out for mashed potatoes and burgers at The Cullen's which was a forty-five minute drive from Galveston bay. The drive had been a joyous and cheery even. John and Louis played I spy while Metilda watched them with a content smile on her lips.

            Then after lunch, Louis had fallen asleep and instead of having an awkward silence fill the car space, they had an actual conversation. Yes, John and Metilda talked like the old times. He was careful not to bring up anything that would call up unpleasant memories.

            The radio played a beautiful Alan Powell song and all was perfect. The wind slurred through Metilda's hair and John's finger tapped the steering wheel to the beat of the song.

            They talked, talked, and talked about rodeo, country music, and the strange names of Texas cities. It all blurred in Metilda's mind, half their words, half of John's flirtatious smiles.

            "When I first saw you, I was like Damn, what I can do to get me one of those," John grinned.

            "Are you kidding me?" Metilda laughed.

"You are quite attractive." He drawled the word. To his sweet satisfaction, Metilda's cheeks were rosy red. He had purposely said are instead of were.

"What were you thinking when we first met?" John steered the car towards I-75 exit. Home was so close.

            Metilda bit the side of her lips.

            Metilda was standing alone at the freshman's party. Most of the kids were busy staring at each other, some were actually bothering to strike up a conversation. John was one those few. A large cup of Dr. Pepper in his hand, he grinned at a bunch of senior gals.

            Metilda made her way to the refreshment table. She came to this party out of boredom. 'Might as well stuff up on the food', she thought. At the same moment, John- a green eyed, black haired boy- spilled Dr. Pepper on her.

            Metilda loved Dr. Pepper in her mouth, not on her clothes.

"Eh," The guy bent over on his knees to pick the cup. Metilda was enjoying the view until he came back up. "Really sorry about that, miss."

            "It's alright."

"No, I'm really sorry. I wasn't watching where I was going. Is there anything I can do to make it up?"

            Were all Texan guys this polite? Being a New York girl, Metilda wasn't used to this kind of chivalry.

            "No, I'm fine."

"Please, let me make it up to you. I could buy you a new dress or something?"

             "A spin in the washing machine and this dress will spotless. Plus its black, it won't stain."

            "Take it off."

Metilda's eyes widened. "What?"

            "Wait that came out wrong?" He looked mortified. "I mean I'll wash it when you take it off."

"Sir, you are an idiot and I will not take off my dress." With that she walked away.

            To Metilda's great displeasure, she had English class with the same green eyed boy.

"So what were you thinking?" John sneaked a peak at her face.

            . She brought the heels of her feet to the seat and wrapped her arms around the leather boots "That you were a perverted guy with a hella nice ass,"

That was the last thing John expected her to say. "I'm not perverted,"

            "Really? John, do you really want to take me there?"

"Hey, hey. You make me sound like a crusty old man who has nothing better to do than watch girls walk by."

"Maybe that's what you are,"

"Please don't say that," John looked absolutely mortified. "People have enough reasons to hate me. Don't make that list longer,"

Metilda couldn't keep it in anymore. She burst into fits of laughter. "I swear.... (laughs)... you act like a... (laughs)... kid sometimes. Even Louis is better than you,"

Would it be a sin if I kissed her right now? John thought. The guilt of the situation caught up with him a minute later. What the hell was he doing?

❁❁❁

When they reached home, the sun had settled behind the horizon. Metilda was fast asleep. She must be really tired because John didn't remember Metilda being one those people who liked to sleep when the sun was up.

Ah, the small things he remembered about her. He remembered every small detail. It's just that he didn't show it anymore.

John parked his Mercedes in the garage and the unlocked the doors.

First he carried Louis to his room. He quickly tucked Louis in and turned on the heart-shaped night light. Louis hated the darkness, just like Metilda did.

Then he went back to the garage, Metilda was snoring softly. He lifted her in his arms. She felt so light, almost like a fragile doll.         

John carried her to his room. Even John doesn't know why he did that. She looked so breakable and he was scared to let her go.

            As John laid her on the bed and removed her boots, he lost himself completely to the war inside his head.

He felt a hand on his shoulder. It was aunt Rein.  She smiled, a strange sadness in her features.

"My child, forgive her. It wasn't her fault."

"I can't," he whispered.

            "Just so you know, I've forgiven her,"

"You have a big heart,"

            "For my sake, forgive her. I won't be able to rest in peace until you do,"

John looked back to see his aunt disappear.

            That night John didn't sleep. All night long he watched Metilda sleep.

"What are you doing to me, Mel?" He spoke softly, in a hushed voice. "I thought we were done for good but then you come up with this deal. How am I suppose survive the next nine days when you've got me whipped by three kisses?"

He buried his head into the web of his hands. "I can't let you go Metilda but I can't stay with you either."

.

.

.

.

.

Note: I love, love Texas. Ah, the next chapter will be something. I still have some tricks left up my sleeve. And whoa, it's only been three kisses. I really need to pick up the pace with the kissing deal.