Chapter 9 - Life is Unfair

Nathan

Nathan's mind was racing as he trudged through the woods. His mistress had warned him if he was late again, he would be fired. And he couldn't afford to lose this job. Firstly because he and his sister Isis, were orphans and their only source of living was Nathan's job. Nathan's parents abandoned him because of the tragedy of the blood moon. His sister was kind enough to stay with him and not desert him like his parents did. He had been afraid to even talk about the tragedy because once people knew what he did, his life would become worse. When Nathan finally reached the spot, his mistress was waiting for him on the rendezvous point- the rock. She never appeared there unless she was extremely angry and upset with him. 'Uh-oh. This might be the end of my job' thought Dylan anxiously.

"Welcome Nicolas, your majesty!" bellowed his mistress.

As usual, the mistress was mocking him and when she did this, she loved to always get his name wrong. "Think you're some great king, do ya?" she asked angrily. "No, no mam. Isis had an emergency, so it got a little late," replied Nathan. "

Ahh Isis. You serve that girl well don't you? But listen you good for nothing brat! I am the queen here and if you don't obey my orders, off with your head!" she shouted.

"What!?" asked Nathan, petrified. "Oh sorry. My bad. OFF WITH YOUR JOB!" she shouted, acting innocent. "Yes, mam. You're right. It shall not happen again." he said sadly. "Uhh whatever!" she replied, still angry. "So, are things all right Ms Parker?" asked Dylan.

"Noo! Things are not going according to plan. And it's all because of you!" she said pointing a finger at him. "But ma'am, I did everything as you told me to. Getting the items, setting them up and making sure the boy and girl arrive on the exact night of the no moon day," replied Nathan nervously. "Yeah. And what's wrong you ask? Everything! I thought the Smiths were on our side but turns out only Olivia and her parents are! Stella still hasn't decided whether or not she's gonna betray Anderson but I'm thinking she not going to. This brings us back to the topic. Nothing is going according to plan!"

"But ma'am, surely she's going to betray him. She cares about her family more than some friend doesn't she?" asked Nathan. "That's what she doesn't know. He's not just some friend. There's actually an even bigger and more evil story behind the Andersons and Smiths but they were too ashamed of it, they never told it to their descendants hence, the word never got around about it."

Nathan had no possible clues to this 'even bigger and evil story' but he had doubt in the back of his mind. He decided to ask it "Ma'am how do you know about this?"

"The Smiths were once loyal servants of my family. I have learnt quite a lot about their history with the Andersons. But that doesn't matter. Your job is to make sure Stella betrays Leo. If she doesn't, I will be no longer needing you here" she said bluntly.

Nathan was beyond frightened now. This day was the day, she was supposed to pay him his salary but he was even afraid to as for it. "Umm mam, I know this may be a bad time, but my salary?" he asked timidly.

"Ahh yes." she searched her cloak and having appeared to have no money with her at the present, she said "Nathan, I am sorry but I will not be able to pay you this week. Instead, if you succeed in making Stella betray Leo, I will tell you a secret. Now you may be wondering why you would want to know a secret from me. That is because this secret involves your history and details no one has told you about it. And you may be wondering How I would know this?" she said.

She had literally read Nathan's mind. Nathan nodded. " I have done extensive research in the history of famous wizard families conflicts and disputes. Your family is one of such. I am going to give you a hint beforehand about what it is." she said in a mysterious voice. The suspense was killing Nathan.

"Your family's history is intertwined with that of the Andersons and Smiths."

"I will say no more. If you succeed you will know what is unknown." she disappeared into thin air.

Nathan was speechless. Though she could be manipulating him with lies to make him do his job, it was working. He believed his mistress and knew that she would never lie, that too about topics as serious as family history.

He was dying to know the truth. Isis would be shocked to hear of this. Only one thing left to do. Succeed in making Stella betray Leo.

How did you guys like the climax that Stella may be related to Leo? Well, spoiler alert they may not. The mistress is not always right. Anyway, Nathan's story was really sad huh? So let's see what he's gonna do in the next chapter just get one small piece of info about his family history.

Thanks for reading my story, means a lot and Happy Krishna Jayanthi to all the Indians out there! Have an awesome day!

Take care and stay safe ❤