03 | PUNCH22

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

pope began to sigh and shake his head, a wide smile on his face.
"you think he insults every person that's new to living on the island?" we both laughed with each other.

we stood around for a couple more minutes, chatting and making small-talk, before night had drawn in on us. mr heyward agreed to let us go a couple minutes early, so pope could drive me back to my home in order to find some form of formal clothing.

thankfully, the few clothes i bought were sets of clothing that could be worn both casually and formally. i paired a black pleated skirt with a short-sleeved white shirt, black laced boots with knee highs, and kaiser's little bowtie being the cherry on top. i clipped on a thigh garter i wore whenever i wore skirts, just to keep my phone close to me at all times. and of course i had to add a little jewellery here and there, i may be working for a villa full of rich pricks and their mothers, but who said i would have to look like it? nothing too much, i replaced my usual piercings with some more modest earrings, but added a couple rings and chains to make me feel a little more confident on my first day.

pope slipped out a few compliments, as did i, considering he had also changed over at my place by now. he was practically dressed in the same attire as me, except instead of a skirt he wore a slack pair of black trousers and a tight white dress shirt that flattered him well.

mr heyward kept us at two separate posts upon arriving at the midsummers villa, but had kindly allowed us to have our breaks at the same time if we wanted to. it seemed as though pope and i were getting along well, and mr heyward seemed to have taken a liking to my work ethic.
guests were beginning to arrive, just as i stood aside for a moment to admire the light reflecting towards the ocean from both the moon and the decoration of the club. the city never had views like this. expensive and vintage cars poured in, filling both the back and front entrance to the venue.

pope's voice could be heard from across the venue as i threw fake smiles around the room with a tray balanced on my spread hand. thank god one of my old jobs back in the city was waitressing, it was more exhausting than it looked. but what really tested me were the kooks, they seemed to view pope, mr heyward's other workers and i as mere servants for them. one of them had even asked me to help their child in the toilet, and some of the boys were pigs with no apparent self respect.

but hours had passed, catching glimpses of jj, kie and pope conversing in corners as i worked. thankfully for me, pope hadn't seemed to tell the other two that i was working here.

"y/n, baby go 'head and take a quick break for now." i spun around at the feeling of a hand on my upperarm, "i've been watching you running back and forth to do your job...could teach that son of mine a little something." heyward smiled warmly at me, as i simply nodded and thanked him before heading back inside to place my trays down.

shit, toilet break. i hadn't peed in a good three hours, mind you i had only been on this island for under ten hours. i itched my forearm as i found my way towards the bathrooms, muffled voices surrounding me as i approached the open door.

"yeah, but what the hell are we gonna do if we don't find out who that person was?" a voice spoke from behind the wall, it had to be jj.

"well- we blocked them? that should be enough, right?" kie confirmed in an uncertain reply.

"no kie, anyone could find that picture now! this entire island knows what john b looks like thanks to those wanted posters, and sarah was literally a cameron! kook royalty!" surely that was pope's voice, i never thought i'd hear him lose it like that. i tried my absolute best to resist the urge to eavesdrop any longer, but what i heard next was what held me there.