xv. violet fucking langley

chapter fifteen
VIOLET FUCKING LANGLEY

🥀

» » EDITH TRACED BACK and forth, nervously biting her nails. She had just seen her mother for the very first time in years and now she had been told her father was in town as well. He was back, and she couldn't help but feel nervous about it all. What would she say to him when she met him? How would he react to seeing her again, after all these years? How would she?

It could all go one of two ways; she would meet up with him, only to have him gravely disappointed in the person she'd become, or he would be proud and happy to see her. Either way, Edith couldn't hide the swarm of feelings in her chest even if she tried, and she had no idea how to even get in touch with him.

As if the universe could read her pesky little mind, Otus the owl came flying in through the window, carrying a white envelope. More than curious to find out from whom it was from, Edith ripped it open, only to find out if was another letter from Rose. Of course.

*:・゚✧*:・゚

Dear Edith,

I must insist you hear me out one more time. It was never my intention to make you feel unappreciated after your father had gone, despite how I may have made it out to be.

Never mind about that now. I told you last time that your father has returned to London. Al though I haven't been in contact with him myself, I do have a contact that say he's been seen around town. Maybe he's found himself a new wife, what do I know.

Anyhow, I don't want you to go looking for him. He made his decision to leave years ago, and I cannot believe he is a changed man. So please, for the love of Rowena, stay away. This is the last thing I am asking of you.

And please — perk up a little. I have given you a good life under the circumstances, have I not?

Write back this time,

-Mum.

*:・゚✧*:・゚

Edith let out a small scoff. She couldn't believe how after all these years, her mother could still possess such a power over her. No matter what she did to try and mend the pain, Rose's words still stung just like they had always done. It didn't help either, that her mother tried covering up her manipulative behaviour by suggesting she was doing it all out of love, and that it was Edith who was making it all difficult. Per usual, she was the one to blame. She was the villain.

She tore the cream coloured envelope and the letter to pieces, throwing it all into the fireplace by the makeshift bed in which she had been sleeping stood. Not caring if her mother would attempt to contact her again, she starting thinking of ways to get in touch with her father instead. It didn't matter that her mother begged the brown eyed girl not to do so, she had to see him. She needed to know why he left and what his intentions in coming back were. Why now?

After some thinking, a brilliant yet far fetched idea came to Edith's mind. What if she went around town, talking to the owners of the various shops, and asking them to send a message to her father, should he show up? If anything else, it would give her some time to think about what to say to him, should the time come.

So that's what she did.

It took pretty much the whole day, and all of her strength and willpower to do go around the whole of Diagon Alley and convincing the owners to help her out. Some were more kind and helpful than others, but when the night finally came, she had done what she could to reach out. Now, all she could do was wait. Wait for Alexander Gannon to contact her.