Chapter 37

George and Carmen were sat on the sofa, each a cup of tea in their hands and both their faces drawn with worry. They had been talking for over and hour, or rather George had been telling her about everything that had happened while Carmen had let out a sigh from time to time or made a shocked or understanding face.

"I just don't know what to do now. She won't talk or eat or even get out of the bed. I worried." he paused and moved his eyes from his cup, which he had his long fingers wrapped around, to Carmens eyes, "this is my fault. I let this happen to her. I knew I shouldn't have left her there alone." His gaze turned to the floor as he mumbled the words 'guilty' and 'sorry'.

"George, you beating yourself up over this is not the right thing to do. What happened is not your fault. But we need to figure something out to help Willow. I will send you the number of a therapist. She has to talk to someone." Carmen put her hand on his knee to comfort George, who was slouching in his seat and had his head in his hand.

At that moment they heard the stairs squeak and both their heads turned quickly to see Willow making her way downstairs, wearing Georges boxers and a dark blue hoodie of his. She walked past them not glancing at them for one second, as if they were invisible to her, and walked into the open kitchen. 

George jumped up from the couch to join her in the kitchen, while Carmen also stood up and got her bag. "I' m gonna send you that number, alright? Call if you need something, anything!" she assured George, who gave her a small but noticeably thankful smile. Carmen made her way to the door and after George had thanked her and closed the door behind her again he returned to the kitchen. 

Willow was silently looking for a cup while the water in the kettle was starting to boil.

"Hey," George said with a shaky voice, carefully moving closer while still maintaining a safe distance, since he still wasn't sure how she felt about it "can I help you with anything?".

Willow turned around towards him. A few seconds of silence passed until she moved her eyes from the from the floor to meet his. George was leaned against the kitchen island behind him with his hands on the counter behind him, steadying him. They looked at each other for another few seconds before Willow moved closer, wrapped her arms around his torso tightly and rested her head against his chest. 

George let out a big breath and wrapped his arms around her as well. Feeling her against him after everything that had happened these few days gave him goosebumps. He never wanted to let go of her again, just keeping her in his arms where he could protect her forever. George pressed a kiss on the top of her head and let out another big breath. 

In this vulnerable moment he couldn't think of anything else to say besides "I love you, Willow. I love you so much". It stayed quite after that, but George didn't mind her not saying anything. This wasn't about saying anything back, he was just glad to hold her in his arms and be able to show her he would always be there to hold her.

They stayed like this for quite a while until Willow finally spoke her first words after three days of silence. "Can you bring me my painting stuff before you leave for race week?" She said it with a raspy and hoarse voice and she spoke slowly and although she sounded so weak and helpless a tiny smile appeared on Georges face. Just hearing her finally talk again - and then such a random question - made Georges heart warm again after all that worry.

"Of course I can bring them, baby. Whatever you want. I'll drive to your apartment later and get them so if there is anything else you need, just tell me, alright?" 

He felt Willow nodding against his chest and then they both tightened their grip and stayed there in the kitchen hugging for a little longer.

George was hurrying through Willows flat, trying to gather everything he thought she could possibly need, so he could be back with her as soon as possible. Loaded with canvases, tubes of paint, a box of paint brushes and a bag of her clothes, George made his way back to his car. He had left soon after their hug ended so he was desperate to get back to her so he could hold her again, since that was all he wanted to do.  Having to leave for race week the next day was the last thing he wanted to think of right now.

When he returned, he put all of the stuff he had brought down in the hallway when Willow came towards him from the couch where she had been watching TV. 

"Thank you, George." Willow said and wrapped her arms around him again. 

George enjoyed the hug for a while until an idea came to his mind, which was not only because he remembered Willow hadn't done anything besides lay in bed for three days but also because he thought this would be great for her to relax.

"How about a bath?" he asked her to which she nodded immediately. He helped Willow get undressed while the tub was filling up with warm water and afterwards helped her step in. George remained outside where he sat down on the floor beside her so he could reach in and help her get clean again. With the sleeves of his sweater pushed up over his elbows he reached over her to get the shower head and wet her hair so he could wash it.

After he had rinsed the shampoo out he grabbed the body wash, put a good amount in his hands and rubbed them together to foam the gel before applying it on her body. George carefully scrubbed her skin with his hands until he noticed her breath getting quicker. He looked up and saw tears in her eyes. The expression on his face changed immediately and he the worry he had before was back. Before he knew, tears were streaming down he face and sobs escaped her mouth. 

George reacted right away by stopping what he was doing and pulling her into his chest again. His sweater got all wet and soapy and Willows wet hair stuck against his face. She was gasping for air between cries and it only got worse.

"Let it all out. You can let it all out, baby. You're safe here" George tried comforting her to his best abilities. Tomorrow before he had to leave he had to call that therapist, he told himself.

A/N 

guys I'm so sorry I've been M.I.A. for so long but I just couldn't find the right motivation to write this chapter. I know it's a sensitive topic so I want to write this the best I can.

thanks to everyone who reads and votes and comments!!!! 

all the love xx