Chapter Thirty-Seven

It takes everything in me just to get up each day

-Taylor Swift

Mason

Maria was busy typing away at her computer, her hair falling over her face despite the number of times she had pushed it behind her ears. As I chopped things to make a salad, I couldn't stop thinking about how happy I was that Maria and I had talked earlier. While Max had done a good job attempting to talk me off the ledge, it was much more reassuring to hear Maria say herself that she wasn't upset with me.

"What are you working on?" I asked sliding the salad bowl in front of her.

"My internship," Maria replied finally looking up from her computer. I nodded. I was glad she had something to do and distract herself with because otherwise, I had a feeling she would be spiraling.

"Reading anything interesting?" I asked sliding onto the stool next to her.

"It's a murder mystery," she smiled looking up at me. "It's pretty captivating."

"Good," I smiled giving an inward breath of relief.

"Hey Maria, your phone has been non-stop ringing," Max said holding her phone in his hand as he made his way into the kitchen. Just as he finished speaking it lit up again with a phone call.

"Does it say who it is?" Maria asked her voice unsure and weak.

"Looks like your uncle," he answered glancing at the screen. Maria squeezed her eyes closed for a moment before nodding and holding her hand out. Max handed Mariathe phone and she put it on speaker.

"Hello?" She asked chewing on her lip.

"Maria honey, I've been trying to reach you for hours now," an older voice said worriedly.

"I'm sorry Uncle Mark, I've been working on homework," Maria sighed placing her phone on the counter and running her hands through her hair.

"Why did Trent's mother call me this morning telling me that he was in jail because you were pressing charges against him?" He asked his voice worried and non-accusing. I watched Maria's strong demeanor crumple immediately and tears welled in her eyes.

"Can you get here?" She asked her voice shaky. "I really need you," she whimpered.

"Of course sweetheart. Is everything okay?" The man asked his voice dripping with concern.

"I'm okay, I just need to talk to you in person," she mumbled.

"Sure, I'll be there by tonight at the latest. I'll send you a text with my flight information. Are you going to be alright Maria?"

"I'll be fine," Maria replied. "I love you. See you soon."

As soon as she hung up the phone she broke down into tears. I sighed wrapping her in my arms tightly. I didn't know exactly the reason why she was crying, but I had a feeling that was going to be the case for the next few weeks. She was upset and needed me and that was all I needed to know.

"It's going to be okay babe," I sighed stroking her hair. "I'm here for you."