Sullen Girl

September 1, 1971

It was a gloomy Wednesday morning. The sound of a drizzle of rain tapping on the windows. Nobody in the house was awake, at least that's what she thought when she stepped out of her bed and carefully opened the door, making sure there was no noise being made as she stepped outside into the hallway.

As she walked her fingertips gently grazed along the walls, the feeling of the old wallpaper on her skin as she made her way into the library. Although it was always awfully cold and there was almost no light in there, 11 year old, Elara thought it was the safest place in the world.

Hardly anybody came into the library except for her and sometimes her twin brother Sirius and her younger brother Regulus when they came to do their studying. Other than that, it was hardly ever put to much use. Which was perfect for her since the times she felt the most at peace were the times she was alone.

Being alone meant no annoying brothers, being alone meant she didn't have to deal with the bitter house elf, although Kreacher was much nicer to her than he was to others, most of all being alone meant she didn't have to see her mother.

Everyone expects a mother to be nurturing, loving, and most of all having undying love for her children. Walburga Black was an exception to that rule. She was the cruelest and most cold-hearted woman, Elara, had ever faced.

On the few days when she and her brothers were allowed to go outside (with supervision from their governess) Elara, would see other children walking around the nearby park hand in hand with their families, the happiest of smiles on each of their faces. Seeing this made her have one question. "Is this what a family is supposed to look like?"

She remembered countless nights where she'd stay awake picturing herself and her brothers in the children she had seen in the park's positions.

Jealousy filled her up like a glass of water. Why couldn't she experience the joy other children felt? Why couldn't she be loved the way other parents loved the kids she saw in the park?

It took a few days, but she grew not to resent those children. It wasn't their fault she had been dealt a shitty hand. Maybe this was just how her life was supposed to be.

Once she had entered the library she searched through the vast array of bookshelves until she found the Jane Austen books, picking up Emma from the shelf.

Elara's parents specifically, Walburga, were never fond of Austen's work but by some miracle, Elara was able to convince her mother to get her best works in their library. That was the one time she ever felt that her mother actually cared.

She spent the next hour reading. Flipping through the pages with gentle hands, treating the book with the most extreme care.

Soon she glanced at the grandfather clock on the other side of the library. She quickly closed the book and ran to put it back on the shelf. "Oh no, no, no! Mother is going to kill me!"

Swiftly making her way back to her room without a trace, Elara pretended to be asleep in her bed just before she heard footsteps coming up the stairs.

They were quick and every step had intent. Her mother's steps. Soon she heard a hard knock on the room across from hers. Sirius' room.

"Sirius. I will only be saying this once. You have exactly an hour to be ready but I expect you to be downstairs 5 minutes before that time is up at the least! Now go wake up your sister!" A few seconds passed before Walburga was now going back downstairs.

Elara got up and made her bed, then went to the door and opening it to find Sirius about to put his hand on the door handle.

"How do you always know when I get here." Elara shrugged. "Must be a twin thing I suppose. Now go get ready you idiot, we have places to be. Go on now, shoo." She then shoved Sirius out of her doorway and shut the door.