Unraveled

Rays of sunlight streamed through the train windows, casting shadows on the floor. Students in different school uniforms chatted with each other as they stood holding the train poles. Adults in business suits sat cross-legged or talked on the phone.

Crystal stood in front of a door, wearing her black uniform, which had a skirt and red collar ribbon. The train is so crowded today, she thought with slight irritation. So many people. So many strings...

She gazed at the innumerable red strings draped in a scarlet web in front of her. Each string was attached to one person's pinky on one end, while the other end of most of the strings extended beyond Crystal's sight, disappearing behind the train walls.

"Hey, hey, did you read that new manga in the last Shojo Beat volume?" a high schooler standing near Crystal asked her friend, bubbling with excitement.

"I did!" her friend replied, nearly jumping up in eagerness. Feeling surprised, Crystal couldn't help but glance at them with her sharp, cat-like emerald green eyes. "One chapter, and I'm already hooked!"

"I know right!" the first girl exclaimed. "I love red string of fate stories! And the way they're from distant countries and have different social statuses, but they still ended up together!"

Their voices seemed to drift off into the wind as Crystal's mind turned to her own thoughts. It does sound romantic, doesn't it...? But is it really as good as it sounds? She held the handle of her school bag a bit more tightly in agitation. It brings people together by fate. But why should fate decide who you end up with? Shouldn't you decide who you want to be with? Shouldn't you choose who you fall in love with on your own?

The train slowed to a stop at its destination, and all the doors on Crystal's side opened. A small gust of wind blew her long, raven black hair. As she stepped out of the train and saw the vast sea of people walking to and fro the station, she thought, It simply doesn't make sense. My string could attach to any random person in this crowd. But no matter who it connects to in the future, I won't let myself fall for them just because of that. Never in a lifetime.

• • •

The school bell chimed out a calming melody as students convened toward the school. As she walked toward the entrance gate, Crystal was surprised to see her friend, Emma, walking with the new transfer student, Andrew. Her eye fell on the red string between them, one end of which was attached to Emma's pinky and the other to Andrew's.

Looks like the string's already working and pulling them together, she thought to herself.

After they passed the gate, they waved goodbye to each other. When Emma spotted Crystal, she caught up with her.

"Morning, Crystal!" she greeted warmly.

"Morning, Emma," she smiled. "So, I saw you walking into school with Andrew. I didn't know you two were friends?" They took their outdoor shoes off, placing them in their shoe locker, and put on their indoor shoes.

"You know, it's crazy," Emma replied. "We became friends really quickly because I kept bumping into him everywhere! On the way to school this morning, at the library, even at the mall this weekend!"

"Wow, what are the odds of that?" Crystal played along. At this rate, they'll be dating in no time, she thought.

• • •

Later that day, Crystal was walking to class with her friend, Vincent.

"Man, I have so much homework," he said. "Mrs. Smith really doesn't hold back." He chuckled. "She said she thinks we need multiple hours worth of math homework after every class so we get enough practice." Just as he finished speaking, a female student ran up to him.