NIGHTMARE

(Aftermath is a story inspired by Finding Time by taishige on FanFiction.net
Please go read that story before beginning this one. I guarantee it won't disappoint.
Be warned that it is a very sad story and contains many triggering themes)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Chapter One: Nightmare

Wolf awoke to the sounds of whimpering and panicked breathing. He glanced at the clock on the nightstand. It read 03:24. Which meant another almost sleepless night for him. He looked to his right and saw Fox curled into a ball in the sheets, his ears flat and tail tucked tightly. His body shook from his sobs and the fear of what was happening in his mind. Wolf sat up and disentangled his lover from the sheets as he had every night for the past two months. He held him tightly against his chest and spoke his name quietly. "Fox, wake up... come on Foxy, it's alright, please wake up." He lightly shook his shoulder, trying to awaken him. When it didn't work, he became more desperate and raised his voice. "Fox! Wake up! Come on! Fox, wake up!" He gave his shoulders a harder shake.

Fox sobbed and jolted up with a scream, mumbling and panting heavily in pure fear, his eyes were wide and wild, darting around the room but focusing on nothing. His ears were flattened so tightly against his head they appeared nonexistent. "Wolf!! I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" He said in a grief ridden voice.

Wolf hugged him tightly, gently rocking his distraught lover. "Fox, I'm here, it's okay, I'm okay. Foxy, look at me, look in my eye, see? I'm okay." He tilted Fox's face up, making direct eye contact. "I love you Foxy, you're okay." He could see the sheer terror running through those emerald eyes, the panic, the stress, the guilt over actions he believed to be true. His lover was trembling, a cold sweat matting his fur, his heartbeat erratic and pounding.

Fox sobbed, tears falling down his cheek while he stared up at Wolf in worry, sadness and fear. "W-wolf?..." He asked, questioning if Wolf was really there with him or just a grief stricken hallucination.

Wolf nodded, touching his forehead to Fox's and licked his nose. "It's me Foxy, I'm here, just breathe, slow and deep okay? Calm your heart." He placed a hand over Fox's heart, feeling it beat wildly in his chest, almost as if it would come through his ribs. If this kept up, Fox would be sent to an early grave from a heart attack.

Fox trembled as he tried breathing in and out, sniffling and sobbing softly. "I'm so sorry Wolf, it was all my fault, we...I wasn't strong enough. I was such a coward." He said, apologizing to who he knew was dead, apologizing for the horrible act he'd committed out of mercy. He'd killed his lover and mere seconds later was rescued from his fate of suffocation. If he'd just waited, or let up when Wolf was clawing and prying at his hands in desperation to live, to breathe again. To not have his death so soon. Fox stared at his hands, horror writ across his face. "I'm a murderer, I'm a murderer... I killed my Wolfy, I killed Wolfy after I kissed him, I killed him when he'd finally smiled at me, I didn't even tell him I love him and I strangled him!" He screamed in agony, oblivious to the form right in front of him. He couldn't think of anything but what he'd done. He was a monster, not a hero. He wanted everything to just go away, or better yet, for someone to put a bullet in his brain. He hated himself, he wanted to die.

Wolf grabbed him and pulled him against his chest tightly, pressing the traumatized fox's head against his chest so he could hear his heartbeat. He then nuzzled him gently. "Fox, it wasn't real, it was all a virtual reality simulation. No one died. Peppy is still the leader of Star Fox, Falco is just down the hall, as are Krystal and Panther. Leon is cooking and Slippy is helping Leon. Everyone is alive and safe. Come on, let's go see Falco, up on your feet." He knew that actually seeing the others would help, especially Falco. The brash bird would no doubt snap Fox out his swirling thoughts.