Thieves and Liars

Eugene huffed and shook his father's hand from his shoulder. It was the first clear day in their rainy kingdom for months, and although he didn't like hunting, it was nice to be outside of the castle grounds, especially since Father had let the Baron's daughter Stalyan join them. He liked Stalyan, she was fun, and she was the only person his age that lived near the citadel. They liked to find ways to entertain themselves, ways that often-meant creeping into the servants' quarters to try and learn their secrets and stealing things from his Dad's room to hide behind books in the library. She also shared his love of his favorite books, the adventures of Flynn Rider.

"Horace."

"Eugene."

"HORACE." His Dad said in a sterner voice. "This is not open to discussion."

"It's unfair, you get to say that everything is going to happen exactly how you want it to happen because you're the king."

"And your father."

"And I don't get to have an opinion on anything."

"Technically, little nephew." Hector interrupted. "You can have the opinions; they just don't change your reality."

"Would you make me marry a baby?"

"She won't be a baby when you get married. She'll be a young woman your Highness." Quirin explained on the other side of him.

Eugene shot him an annoyed look, he was always agreeing with everything his father said, Adira wasn't much better, but she at least taught him fun tricks when he was having his archery and sword fighting lessons. His uncle Hector was the one that could actually be funny though, and he was the one who wasn't scared to disagree with his father.

"One day, you will be King, and then you'll be the one making the decisions, and you will understand just how difficult those decisions can be to make sometimes. If I was able to, I would allow you to marry for love like I was able, but our country is at risk and..." His Dad started to explain.

"When I'm King I will marry Stalyan because she's fun, not just some stinking crying baby."

"Hear that!" Stalyan cried running ahead, her long reddish hair streaming behind her. "I'm going to be Queen!" She jumped onto a log and stood on the tips of her toes and reached her hands above her head. "Of the ENTIRE Kingdom."

"My Prince, it's a complicated situation, to avoid war." Quirin interrupted.

"They won't go to war with me." Eugene said jumping onto the log and grabbing Stalyan by the shoulders to try wrestle her off. "I'm going to be a mighty king, so enemies beware!" He said in a sing song voice.

"You'll be the best king!" Stalyan encouraged him.

"I'm going to be the main event,

Like no king was before,

I'm brushing up on looking down,

I'm working on my smolder."

"Is that supposed to be scary or..." Adira asked Quirin.

"He needs to eat more roughage." His dad answered.

"OH I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO BE KING!"

"Perhaps Horace you should get down from that log before you fall off." Quirin suggested gently.

Eugene caught his father putting his hand on Quirin's shoulder.

"It's the first time that I've seen him this happy since Helena died, let them have their fun."