Fireplaces and Towers

Fredrick looked around the throne room, each side was lined with guards, stood so close together it was hard to see past them. The giant statues of previous kings were even more foreboding than usual given the stifled atmosphere. He'd been visiting the Dark Kingdom since he was a teenager. His royal Caravan had always received a warm welcome, but this reception was icy. He reminded himself that technically the family was still in mourning, but the added guard presence was unexpected. The dark kingdom was strong, secretive at times, but never unfriendly. Their status as the most tenacious warriors in the world had kept them peaceful for generations, though lately, information had reached him that their neighbours had started to look at the mineral rich country and wonder if their neighbours were really as formidable opponents as they once were.

Fredrick approached the throne, stopping a few meters away and inclining his head, waiting.

No greeting came, it was a sign of disrespect not to greet a visiting King, and there was an angry muttering from his traveling guard behind him. He scowled; he had never got on with Hector. He and Edmund had been good drinking buddies, had known each other since teens, but Hector had always been too bitter and full of snide remarks to be likable.

Fredrick took a few steps closer to the throne, looking up at Hectors small frame, lounging across the seat, as if to fill more of it. Hector hadn't inherited the size that most of his family had, born early his family had always waited for him to grow strong, but he'd stayed small in stature, his cunning growing instead.

"What are you doing here Fredrick?" Hector said, green eyes staring down at him.

"I came to offer my condolences. Edmund was a great man, a great king, and a dear friend."

"Shame he was a shitty brother." Hector said dismissively. "Now that we're done with the pleasantries, why are you really here?"

"I came to see Prince Horace."

"What would you want with him?"

"Well, one day he will be my son. Now that he is without parents, I want to offer my advice and guidance. Perhaps at some point he would like to come to Corona for a season, a year even, give him a chance to recover from the tragedies he has faced in his young life."

"Your son?"

"Son in law." Fredrick corrected.

"You presume that the marriage agreement still holds?"

Fredrick stiffened at the words; the situation was worse than he had expected. There was no logical reason that he could see for the engagement to be called off, it would act to cement the friendship that had been started by their fathers before them. The idea of a strong alliance between distant allies, the sharing of information and resources. It had been in the making for years before he and Edmund had come to the throne, a plan just waiting for a Princess to be born.

"Yes, it was your brother, the king's, wish."

"But I am king now."

"Prince regent, until Horace comes of age."

"I am king!" Hectors eyes flashed as he leaned forwards. His voice echoing around the hall.

There was a slight shuffling in the guards around him, and Edmund got a distinct feeling each side were eyeing each other up, waiting for a signal.

"Look, Corona is a friend to you, our fathers started the alliance, it is about time that we tied our family lines together. I just came to let your nephew know that he can rely on my personal friendship. The more guiding lights the boy has the better, don't you agree?"