Chapter 1

When a Duchess Orders You to be a Girl

What happens, when you lose all free will? What happens when you see to it all doors were closed?

What if you were running for so long you were just tired of the thought?

Who says that taking a break on one of this manor's decorate walls was forbidden?

Why would the thought of resting mean imminent danger?

What's with this fact?

Simple.

Because he was running. Running from fear. Running from death. Running from life's comedy.

It was a big leap he took. From one balcony ledge to the stairs below it to reach the mansion's grand gate.

It was thwarted, however, by an even more experienced jumper that had found it appropriate to kick his back by the heel of their black boots.

"Oof!"

Catching him was even simpler now. All his attacker must do is take a few steps to reach his tired body. He's been running for so long, being in this position was almost relieving for his muscles no matter how much the fall's impact had hurt him.

Subaru was just so happy he didn't need to run anymore.

A decently heavy weight on his back made him freeze in the blood.

"Well."

The smugness in the woman's tone was not lost on Subaru. His pride was totally shot down as the polished boot rubbed against his back and kept him pinned to the floor beneath her.

"I assume you have an idea of what has become of your fate, hm, Natsuki-dono?" Filled with the most lovely humbleness a winner should have, the green-haired girl standing on him didn't hold back in reminding him of an even greater humiliation he'd wished to avoid.

"...Thk~!"

"Now, now. We made a deal, Natsuki Subaru. You can sulk if you wish. Though I'd suggest the opposite since that would ruin your pretty looks~"

"G-Goddamn it! I'll kill you, Felix!"

A heel was shoved into his back, making him grunt in pain.

"I'd rather you not speak of such a way about my knight, Subaru. It's ill of you."

"Ill my ass! He sold me out and now I had to be strong-armed into this situation!" The tired boy yelled, craning his neck to respond to the lady above him.

He only received a grin as she looked down on him, "Strong-armed is such a strong word, though it's appropriate."

"You aren't even denying it?!" Subaru yelled at her audacity for not even denying how she forced him into a losing deal.

"I'm still fair, Natsuki-dono. Even if I had my mindset to convince you, I thought it would be faster to make you have hope by placing bets on this competition of ours."

"That's so arrogant! There's no 'competition' here! I could never beat you in this game no matter how much of a head start you gave me! This was unfair from the start!" As Subaru whined in outrage and desperation, the lady simply crossed her arms and shifted her weight on to her leg that wasn't on his back, a wide sweet smile aimed at him below.

"Then it's my win, after all, Natsuki-dono."

"This isn't fair..." Subaru whispered again.

"It's okay, you've done it before. You can do it again for me, can't you?" Hearing her ask in a much more compassionate tone made Subaru think about his upcoming fate.