"Do we really have to go?" I ask my mum. She wants to go to go shopping with me and normally I would love to do that, but I promised Amelia I would go to the cinema and watch that film she's been talking about for weeks. Amelia has been my best friend for as long as I can remember. We were paired together the first day of primary school and we've been inseparable ever since.

"Please? Just this one time, I promise." She tries to convince me.

"Thats the excat thing you told me last week." I know I'm probably gonna give in like I always do. When River died, she completely lost herself and ever since then I find myself doing everything I can to make her happy now.

"I know, but I just want to spend as much time as possible with you before you go to university." She says.

"You still have eight months with me before I'm leaving, but fine, I'll go with you." I roll my eyes. I get off the couch and take my phone to text Amelia that I'm not gonna be able to make it. Once reach my room, I take off my hoodie and leggings and put on a ripped jean, a white crop top and a black and white plaid flannel. It's surprisingly warm outside for it to be the end of January. I put my long blonde hair in a ponytail and have one last check in the mirror before walking out of my room.

"I'm almost ready." I tell my mum who was waiting for me at the front door. I grab my shoes and try putting them on while walking but stop once I almost fall over. I sigh and bent down anyway to tie them. Once I'm ready my mom and I leave the house and get in the car.

...

"What about this sweater?" My mum said while she showed me a pink sweater with the words 'GIRLPOWER' written on them with glitter.

"It's nice", The smile on my face clearly fake, "for an eight-year-old." My smile drops.

She rols her eyes but puts the sweater back.

"Allison?" I hear a woman say. I turned around and see a woman around her forties with a boy around the same age as me, who I assume is her son, stand there. She has blonde hair up to her shoulders and the most beautiful blue eyes. The boy has dirty blond hair, but brown roots so he probably dies his hair, styled in a quiff. The boy has the same blue eyes as his mother with tinges of green and yellow in them. While looking at his eyes I notice he's also looking at me and immediately, I look down with a light blush forming on my face.

"Maura! Hi, it's great to see you! This is my daughter Harper. Sweetie, this is the woman I told you about. The one that moved in a couple blocks away." She explains the last part to me with this weird look on her face. She never told me about the woman so that's probably the reason she's doing that.

"Oh, hi it's nice to meet you. My mum has told me a lot about you." I save my mother and put my hand out for her to shake.

Why are you doing this Harper, she's a friend of your mum not your boss.

She takes my hand nonetheless with a chuckle.

"It's nice to meet you too. This is my son, Niall." She replies with an accent. I can't really hear where she's from, but it's certainly not from the UK.

We gave each other one of those awkward nods and I started smiling because I could feel he was just as embarrassed as I was.

"So, Harper and I are done here anyways. Are you up for a cup of coffee? We could just catch up and our kids here could get to know each other, maybe?" She cheerfully says.

"Sure, that sounds wonderful!" Maura agrees.

...

"So, where are you from? I heard an accent earlier." I ask and nipp my drink. We're at a table for two in the back while our mother are sitting at a table somewhere up front.