Chapter 6

Ren stood, her hand resting on the doorknob. Am I really prepared to face the outside? No, but I don't have much of a choice. She looked at Kai, who was pulling on his shoes. If he's willing to commit a crime to hide me, I can't be selfish and waste this chance, she thought. She opened the door of her apartment and stepped out into the hallway. Kai followed close behind, closing the door behind him. They walked down to the lobby, footsteps pounding on the stairs and at the entrance door. Ren had exited the building with this door dozens of times, but it had never loomed as large and intimidating as it did now. She laid her hand on it and pushed. The door swung open into the street.

As Kai and Ren walked out into the stone road, Kai whispered to her, "Don't make eye contact with anyone and act normal. Act like you've lived like this your whole life." Ren nodded, pulling the top of the shirt-scarf around her neck a bit tighter to feel safe. The day shone bright; the sky was completely clear and blue. All around her, the little lights she had seen in the window before whizzed around trees and lights. At a closer glance, they weren't lights at all but small firefly-type bugs, leaving a glowing trail of pink, blue, and green everywhere they flew. Ren grew nervous, moving a little closer to Kai. People casually manipulated their powers around her, but most seemed harmless.

Suddenly, Ren heard shouting and looked down the road at two men arguing over an unknown reason. They each had sparks flying off their bodies. Is there going to be a fight?? Ren panicked. The men glared at each other and then huffily turned away, extinguishing their sparks. One of the men punched a tree in rage, shattering the middle. Something didn't feel right to Ren. "Is there a reason for that?" Ren asked Kai. "A reason for what?" he replied, without looking down. "Even though those two people were furious at each other and seemed ready to use their abilities, they didn't fight. Usually in shows and movies, you see people with powers fighting all the time." she explained. "There is a reason for that, actually. The King banned all use of powers relating to fighting, so most of the people here have never even used or know how to use their powers for that. However..." Kai's voice grew to a whisper and he leaned in, "There is an area near here called 'Itsuki's Domain'. It's one of the most illegal places here. Everything that remains illegal here, is legal there: fighting, battle rings, and items you can only buy at the black market. You name it, the Domain's probably got it. The King has no idea that it's there, and the officials background check you before you're let in." he whispered. "No rules, no punishments, most of the crime in the kingdom happens there." he finished.

Ren shivered, she would be utterly defenseless without an actual ability. "Coincidentally, that's exactly where we're going!" Kai told her cheerfully, leaning back again. "...WHAT?!" Ren yelped loudly, stopping in her tracks. Kai peered around nervously, silencing her. "We can't be sure who's listening, be quieter." he informed her. "Sorry, did you just say we're going into one of the most crime-filled areas in the kingdom??" Ren whispered anxiously. "There are some people there who can help us and won't tell the King. Most people here hate the King anyways, tyrant that he is, so our main goal is to avoid the various soldiers and spies that he has placed around. Plus, I have an old friend that lives in Itsuki's Domain, named Daichi! He works as a doctor and a librarian, we'll be safe there." Kai said, kicking aside a rock on the ground. "Now, come on!" he gestured Ren to follow.

Kai and Ren hurried along the stone road, their shoes hitting various pieces of rubble. New sights appeared around every corner, from a man with a long beard that touched his feet riding some large, round, winged creature, to a child that seemed to be practicing glowing leaf patterns on the ground and then crumbling them up. Eventually, the number of people began to grow fewer until the two of them were the only people left.

Kai grabbed Ren's hand and quickly dragged her near a cluster of trees off of the side of the road. The grass was long and clearly dying; the tips of it brushed Ren's ankles, making her shiver. They walked through, being careful to be silent, pushing aside stray branches. When the road was no longer in sight, Kai peered around. The intense shade of the trees made the whole place a bit gloomy and hard to see. "Maemi! Where are you!" he whisper-shouted. A girl appeared from behind the endless forest of oak trees, startling Ren, who leaped back. The girl was a bit shorter than Ren, and had dark purple-maroon hair with bangs completely covering her eyes. Her lips had a purple layer of lipstick on them and she was pale. She wore a long black dress, plain other than a small amount of white lace at the top and the bottom. "Hello." she spoke in a lilting voice. She tilted her head at Ren. "New member? Does she know what you're getting her into?" she quietly asked Kai. Kai nodded. "My name is Maemi; I will be conducting your background check today. Please hold still." Maemi said, turning towards Ren.

Ren stood as still as possible, and Maemi advanced towards her. Maemi lifted one finger and gently touched Ren's forehead. Immediately, a soft red light shimmered around Ren, and her eyes rolled back into her head. Kai caught her before she could fall since her knees had started to buckle. The most uncomfortable sensation Ren had ever experienced was currently probing its way through her brain. It felt like Maemi had taken her delicate finger and was pressing down on Ren's brain itself. She felt as though she was constantly falling through a dark, empty void, unable to resist, her heavy body dragging her down. All at once, it was over. "The process is complete; she is free to enter." Ren heard Maemi say distantly.

Ren opened her green eyes sluggishly and Kai helped her grasp a nearby oak tree for stability as he placed her back on her feet. "Feeling all right?" he asked, concern in his blue eyes. Ren shook her head, her stomach still queasy. Maemi reached behind a tree and offered a horrible-smelling, rusty metal bucket to Ren. "We've had people vomit after the process; it's normal." she said calmly. Ren waved her hand. "I'm fine, I think." The nausea was already fading, and Ren felt herself return to normal. Maemi set the bucket back into its hiding spot, the top entirely covered by the swaying grass. She reached over to one of the rotted knots on the bark of the massive tree next to her, pressing it. To Ren's surprise, it sunk, and a crisp, clicking noise sounded from the tree. It almost seemed as though the tree was...hollow.

The bark on the front of the tree popped open, exposing a metal box-like inside. "It-it's-" Ren stuttered in shock. "It is an elevator to the layers of Itsuki's Domain." Maemi finished for her. "You may enter. Be cautious." she told them. Kai nodded. Maemi turned, walked into the forest, fading from view like she was never there. Kai prodded Ren's back, no longer his cheerful self. "Come on, and stay close," he said. They walked into the cramped elevator. There were no buttons that Ren could see, only a small metal box on the side of the wall. The box shuddered, and the front slid open. Inside was a small humanoid creature whose pink hair sprouted from its head and covered its whole body. Behind it was a series of tiny buttons sunk into the wall, impossible for humans to press. "Floor?" it asked in a squeaky voice. "3," Kai replied, unphased. The door of the box slid shut with a clang! and the elevator began to slowly, creakily, move downwards.

Kai glanced at Ren, making eye contact with her. He gave her a small reassuring smile, and Ren tried to smile back at him. This is crazy! I'm in an elevator, clinging to someone I barely know, heading into a criminal-infested zone in a parallel world! she thought, her heart beating loudly in her chest. She sighed, trying to relieve her nerves, as the elevator clicked to a stop. The doors opened, including the one on the box, and the little creature inside announced, "Welcome to Itsuki's Domain."