ii.

Matthias' outfit is above for this chapter and the next!

chapter two.

Matthias was more than surprised to have gotten a text from an unknown number, even more so when they said they were Elena.

Matthias didn't know she got his number, but she figured that Damon had given it to the girl since he had given it to the vampire during their car ride over to the Boarding House.

Matthias was a bit apprehensive when he arrived at the Gilbert house and knocked on the door. He waited less than five minutes before he heard the thumping of feet, and the door was being opened for him. He smiled softly at the sight of Elena herself, and she gave him a nervous smile in return.

"You said that you wanted to talk?" He asked her after clearing his throat.

Elena nodded her head and opened the door a bit wider, "Come in."

Upon entering Matthias admired the homey feeling that the house gave off. Elena led him over to the kitchen and he could see that she was nervous. About what? He wasn't sure but he was intrigued with why she had wanted to see him at all.

"You want some coffee?" She asked him and Matthias nodded his head. "Cream and sugar?"

Matthias shook his head, "Just a bit of milk is fine."

Elena nodded and quickly made his coffee, he thanked her and sighed in relief at the familiar taste of caffeine. It was safe to say that he was a caffeine addict.

Elena smiled at this, and a small laugh left her lips, "You like coffee that much?"

"Love it." Matthias told her with a smile, "You have no idea how much coffee has saved my ass." At the curious look that she was giving him, Matthias continued. "As a vampire, I get cravings and for a while I drank to help with that, but I found caffeine to be a much better friend."

Elena nodded her head in understanding, "I think everyone in my life loves to use alcohol at this point to avoid things."

Matthias chuckled and raised his drink, "Here's to not needing alcohol." Elena laughed and raised her own mug to clink with his own.

They both took a drink before Elena spoke, "About what I wanted to talk about." He nodded, "I wanted to know why you said what you did, yesterday."

"Ah, about listening to you?" Elena nodded her head and Matthias set down his cup. "Look, Damon told me pretty much everything and from what I gathered, no one listens to you. They think for you, breathe for you, and despite what you want, they ignore you and go against your wants every time. Damon asked me to come help and I told myself, after catching up, that I wouldn't be like them because if I just did as Damon and Stefan, then I might as well be another Salvatore."

Elena couldn't help but be grateful for this, she finally had someone on her side. Sure, she knew that Stefan and Damon were there, but they didn't listen to her. It was always about protecting her and despite knowing how the people she loved could be in danger, they still wanted to save her.

"Thank you." She told him honestly, "And since I know how you feel now, do you think you could help me with seeing something through?"

Matthias was about to answer when there was a knock on the door, he and Elena shared a look before Elena walked over to the door. Matthias stayed rooted in place while listening in and sipping his coffee. He made a mental note to go and see Katherine later since he hadn't done so yet.

"Hey, can we talk?" Stefan asked her after she had opened the door.

Elena looked over her shoulder to the kitchen before looking back at them, "Why?"