2

Draco's POV

"I suppose you'll be tempted to uncork some champagne tonight, but I'd advise you not to celebrate so soon."

"I don't care what you advise."

I slam the car door on him the instant he's in.  I don't talk as I start the car and begin winding through the giant concrete maze of the parking garage.  

I should be celebrating tonight that he was actually telling the truth.  I hadn't believed him, so he'd invited me along to an appointment.  Instead, I'm pissed that he's decided to take his iron fist of control to the grave, and I have no choice but to either give up what's rightfully mine or give in to his stipulation.  Either way, I lose.

"Son, you're the last Malfoy.  I know you're upset at me but forty, fifty years from now, everything would belong to someone outside the family anyway if you have no heir.  Your punishment for letting that happen is that it happens sooner rather than later."

"Shut...UP.  I'm driving."

"Draco, I won't ask you to forgive me.  You loved her and so did I.  But you, as a man yourself now, surely you understand.  Men have needs.  It has nothing to do with love."

"WELL IT SHOULD!" 

I yell so loud that my throat burns for the next few minutes.  He doesn't start back up with his nonsense until we're nearly to the manor.  I've made it in record time, risking yet another ticket in order to get him out of my sight.  After I pull around the circular fountain that's dormant until spring, I stop the car and don't even shut the engine off.  He gets that I'm not coming inside and tries one last time.

"I loved your mother.  Her death broke my heart.  And you break my heart over and over.  But I deserve your wrath, and that's fine."  I grip the wheel as he continues.  "What about you?  Don't you think you should know what it feels like to love?  To have someone there next to you each night and with you each day?"

"I don't need anyone.  And trust me, no one needs me."

"That's a very nihilistic thing to say."

"Yeah, well," I retort sarcastically. 

"You came with me today, you heard the Oncologist, and now you know I'm telling the truth.  I have only a mere few months.  You know what you have to do before then.  But it could also be less time than what he's estimating, so don't waste time."

"Super."

"Draco," he starts, but I cut him off.

"Get out.  We're finished here."

He doesn't lecture or even sigh.  He just exits the car, and for the short few seconds that he struggles to get out of the angular car that isn't built for weak thigh muscles, I feel a momentary twinge.  It's fleeting but it's enough to turn my rage into an inferno.  

Despite what he's done, despite everything, deep down I still love him.  I'm more human in this moment than I like to be.  I need to get out of here.

I don't even wait for him to reach the front door.  My tires violently throw gravel and the ass end of the car fishtails until I get enough traction.  I take the narrow tree-lined drive at ludicrous speed and flirt with the idea of dark things.  Somehow I make it back to the city a while later in one piece, but my mind and soul are splitting.  

I am coming apart at the seams.

****