Something He Never Knew He Needed

March 2018

It’s been a few weeks since Carlyle met Gideon. He still can’t believe that someone like him actually exists. Handsome, hot, mukha namang matalino, and nice. Most importantly, a bibliophile like him. What more can he ask for?

Damn, this is the first time in a long time that he had a crush and he missed the giddy feeling it brings.

He looked at the time on his cellphone and saw that it’s already past 9 in the evening. Kanina pa siya nagbabalak na tawagan ang number na binigay sa kanya ni Gideon when they first met but he can’t bring himself to do so. Nauunahan siya ng hiya.

Besides they say it’s rude to call someone after 9 in the evening and before 9 in the morning. Weekday pa ngayon kaya ayaw niya talagang makaabala.

But then everytime he lets go of his phone, thoughts of Gideon enter his head. He just can’t wait to see him and hear his voice again.

Is he overreacting? Maybe. But he can’t help it. He hasn’t met a guy like Gideon yet. Maybe it’s still too early to say he likes him but he definitely has a new crush. Yes, that’s just it.

He took a deep breath. What should he do? If he calls Gideon tonight and finds out he’s occupied by something else, he’d be mortified. But if not, he’ll think of him the whole night and he won’t be able to sleep a wink.

And what if he has a girlfriend.

Or a boyfriend? 

Baka isipin nila, Carlyle’s flirting with him at mag-trend pa siya sa Facebook ‘pag pinost siya. He can’t let that happen.

He sighed and thought, Damn, bakit ba kung ano-anong iniisip ko?

In the end, he just decided to call Gideon. Para na lang sa ikatatahimik niya. He dialed his number and waited, his agony getting worse and worse at every ring.

Minutes have passed, pero walang sumagot sa tawag niya. He knew it, he shouldn’t have called. He resorted to texting him instead.

Gideon
0926 xxx xxxx

Hi, Gideon!

Um, this is Carlyle. I'm not sure if you remember me. I met you at the Red Riding Hood Book Fair. 😅

You lend me your copy of Rise of Two Kings. I just finished reading it and I'm free on the weekend if you want it back. 😄

Once his messages were sent, he started overthinking again. Should he just send all those messages at once? Gideon won’t be annoyed if he sent three messages nang sunod-sunod, right?

Before he could gather his thoughts, his phone vibrated.

Gideon
0926 xxx xxxx

Hey, Carlyle! Yes, I remember you! 😄

I just didn’t accept the call because I forgot to save your number the day we met. And I don’t accept calls from unknown numbers. I'm really sorry about that. 😅

Can I call?

Carlyle’s heart started beating erratically. He’ll call? Which means... He’ll finally hear his voice again.

Really, Carlyle? I'm getting real dumb about this. Of course, I’ll hear his voice when he calls, he thought to himself.

Gideon
0926 xxx xxxx