Chapter 2

Chapter 2

***

4 months later.

"Kyle!" I call from the hallways of the college.

Kyle whips around, and a huge smile spreads about his face. "Cadence! I've been looking for you all over the place! Where did you go?"

"Bathroom. Did you get me some food, or what?"

Kyle laughs. "Your favorite." He says handing over a fried bagel with peanut butter and jelly in it.

The smell hits my nose and I instantly dig in.

Kyle eats his own and soon it's time for class. Again.

College life has been great so far, I'm going to a college near Jane's house so I can easily drive here each day. Over the past four months Kyle and I have gotten very close. After about two months into summer I met Penelope. Also known as Penny.

Penny is also living in Medford, with her parents.

"Thanks for the bagel Kyle! Remind me to pay you back!" I call while walking away.

He waves his hand as if to blow it off.

I smile at him once more and walking into the room. A long boring lecture is awaiting me.

***

I collapse on my bed and start on my homework.

My phone vibrates in my pocket, I pull it out and see it's Penny.

"Hey!" I say, accepting the call.

"Where are you at this exact moment?" Penny asks.

"On my bed. Why?"

"Because, we are going shopping!" She screeches, making me wince and pull the phone from my ear.

I laugh. "Sorry girl, I've got homework. Plus, you know how I hate shopping."

Penny scoffs. "PUH-lease. We both know you just say that."

I smile even though she can't see me.

"Be ready in 10." She says, then abruptly ends the call.

I sigh but get up and look through my closet, deciding on a gray quarter-sleeve shirt with a white scarf. Completed with flats and black leggings.

Just as I finish changing and putting on a light layer of makeup, I hear Penny open the door.

"Hey, slow poke! Let's go!" She calls.

I laugh at her excitement and head down the stairs.

"So how's that douche bag, Kyle?" Penny asks once we're are comfortably seated in the car.

Penny has this thing against Kyle, which I have never really figured out. Ever since they met they've hated each other. She thinks he is bad for me, and he thinks she is bad for me. So I kind of pick one or the other to hang out with.

I laugh. "Come on, Pen. He isn't that bad."

"Girl, he's a man whore." She says while unwrapping a piece of gum, practically killing us in the process. Penny isn't the best driver either.

But I wasn't going to argue with her.

Kyle had lots of "girlfriends". Most of them were just one night stands, but sometimes he would keep them. Just for a few weeks, then totally leave them in the dust. I felt really bad for them and always scolded him when he did it. But he just shrugged it off.

"You know that he wouldn't do that to me." I say as we pull in a parking spot and get out of the car. "We're just friends."

"So you think." Penny chops on her gum wildly. "Pretty soon he is gonna be in your pants."

I slap Penny's arm. "Hey! Who do you think I am? A slut! You know I haven't ever done it before."

"Whatever." She mumbles. "I could see him totally manipulating you."

I sigh. "Okay, let's just shop."

She agrees and soon we are past it.

-

"Oh my god! Cade, look at these jeans!" She shrieks loud enough for everyone in the entire store to hear.

I look at the jeans and just about melt.

"How much?" I ask.

"Twenty bucks. You are totally getting these!"

After checking out Penny and I decide to call it a night.

She drops me off at home and I take a shower and climb into bed.

Just as my eyelids are closing, I hear a tap on my window.

I jump up in alarm.

Groggily getting out of bed, I lift up my window.

"Kyle! What the hell?" I ask Kyle, whose head is now sticking through my window.

"Can I come in?" He asks, smiling in the process.

I laugh and move so he can fully climb in.

"What's up?" I ask when he is in.

"Nothing much. Just wanted to hang out."

Pretty soon he is gonna be in your pants.

I hear Penny's voice in my mind. I quickly erase it and smile at Kyle.

"Sorry we couldn't hang out. I went shopping with Penny."

Kyle frowns. "That's to bad."

"Bad?" I ask, slightly offended.

"I didn't mean it like that. I just-" He cuts himself off with a deep sigh. "You know I don't like her."

I nod my head. "Yeah, I know."

"Look, Kyle. I know it probably took a lot of strength to get up here." I say chuckling. "But we have class tomorrow, and I would like to be able to stay somewhat awake."

He laughs along with me and nods. "You're right. I'll go so that you can get some sleep."

He slowly climbs out but stops right before he is all the way out. "Sorry about the Penny thing. I know you like her, and I will try my hardest to. But it isn't going to be easy."

"It's okay. Just don't be around her, cause then I have to deal with both of you fighting." I say laughing.

He laughs along.

"Now get out of here so I can sleep!" I exclaim, shooing him out.

"Okay! Okay!" He jumps down and runs across my yard over to his.

I sigh and flick the lights off, climbing back into bed.

It's already 12, and I know I'm going to be extremely tired tomorrow.

I yawn and dig deeper into my covers, falling into a deep sleep.

________________________________________________________________________