Chapter 3: Suspicion

"Thanks for accompanying me, Makoto!" Chihime said as they both explored the second floor together. She had convinced the lucky student to push her wheelchair. Now all she had to do is sit and give directions to her new helper. How beneficial. 

"Makoto Naegi, the Ultimate Lucky Student....that's you right?"

"Yeah....I don't think I introduced myself," he said, "So, h-"

"I watched everything from the monitor Monokuma set up, remember?"

Makoto didn't give a reply. Even though she was not facing him, Chihime could somehow understand his thinking. Knowing someone is watching you the entire time is kind of disturbing. Yes, it's quite obvious there are cameras set up everywhere, but hearing someone admit it out loud is another thing.

"By the way, is it true that you...don't have a-"

"Yeah, it's true," she waved her hand nonchalantly, "Don't treat it like a sensitive topic, though. Some people happened to be more talented than others, that's all."

She suddenly turned around to peek at her companion, causing him to yelp and bring the wheelchair to an abrupt stop. After a moment of tense silence, she gave him a sad smile.

"Makoto, don't you suspect me a little?" Chihime asked, "There's no reason for a person like me with no talent to be in Hope's Peak Academy....so you must think that I'm the reason for the situation you are in, right?"

She turned her head back to stare at her lap. "Perhaps....you just followed me to keep an eye on me, so I wouldn't do anything suspicious?"

Makoto remained silent before replying cautiously. "It's true that I have doubts about you....but, I know how it feels not to be trusted back during the class trial." He took a deep breath before continuing. "I believe that I could still trust you, Chihime."

The girl went quiet for a while before lightening up, "That's great! Even though it kind of sucks, having suspicions about me is good!"

She clapped her hands, painfully oblivious to Makoto's confusion. "If you don't have doubts from time to time, you won't be able to end this killing game. Suspecting others in this kind of situation....is a recipe for disaster. But it would be an effective way to find the person behind all this, right?"

"A person behind this killing game?" Makoto asked, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

"Yes! Someone had to place us in this situation! So....I was surprised that you still trusted me....."

"Well, I admit that I'm scared to be trapped in here," he said, "But I do believe that no one would kill, even after the first trial! We...can't give in to Monokuma's words! You did try to be friendly and positive even though you were in a tight spot, so I think you want to gain everyone's trust as well."

"Huh? Well, thanks for trusting me I guess..." she fixed her gaze back to the hallway, "So uhh...why are you following me then?"

"Because you told me to?"

".....let's just head to the gym. It's that way."

As she felt her wheelchair being gently pushed, Chihime quietly pondered on Makoto's words. She had to admit that Makoto had made some valid points.

No one would commit a murder after the first case. She would make sure of that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...and that's how you spell my name," Chihime said, watching Aoi trace the kanji of her name on her palm. 13 minutes ago, the swimmer had shamelessly admitted that she had forgotten her name and asked her for its spelling for her 'remembering method'.