❆Second Chance (21)

~J A C K S O N~

LILY AND HER DAD SAUNTER OUT OF MY OFFICE, Lily's dad has a smile on his face while Lily just frowns, gazing around the bookstore. It's as if she is looking for something or someone.

When Alex asked me about Lily and where she was, I told her about her dad and everything. Her reaction was scary and nerve-wracking at the same time. It's like the guy is a monster, from what I saw in Alex's mood.

"Wrong move, Jack. Wrong move," she said before she tapped my shoulder and left.

Zeke heaved my troubled mood though. We read around the bookstore, he helped me attend to customers and even held a conversation longer than I could.

Most people adored him but some found him to be an odd kid. Their words, not mine. Zeke didn't seem to care because he explained;

"They're just jealous because I'm smarter than them."

I'm glad he never took what they said to heart. Zeke is not a strange kid. He is just really intelligent like the young Sheldon Cooper. It's cool.

Linda and Alex bonded like they did not just see each other yesterday.

The bookstore itself lifted my mood as well, but I never alleviated that little distress in the back of my mind.

Lily meets my gaze and I catch slight remorse before she turns away and glances at her dad. She nods every time her father says something and finally, he leaves, leaving Lily to stand there eyeing at her feet.

I go over whether I should leave and go talk to her. My heart tells me that she probably needs the solace but my mind tells me I should give her some time.

My feet know my heart so well as it takes me to the disappointed-looking Lily.

Without saying anything, I stroll past her, open the door and wait for her to enter. Once she gets the message, she slowly saunters into the office, her eyes downcast.

I close the door behind me but before I can, on the other side of the bookstore, I meet Alex's gaze and she smiles reassuringly as if she knows what I'm about to do and ask. She nods her head and I nod right back.

Lily is lucky to have a friend like her.

I shut the door and take a seat opposite where Lily is seated. We don't say anything for the duration and the stillness is destroying my inners. I feel different right now. I just can't put my finger onto it.

"I'm sorry-" we say in unison and Lily blooms from embarrassment. I try not to smile at her red cheeks and ask her to proceed with speaking. "I am so sorry for behaving the way I did when I arrived here. I was just startled to see my dad and I know you have no idea what is going on between us, but. . . I will explain. . .if you want me to."

I shake my head no even though I really want to know why she acted the way she did toward her dad. "If you want to tell me, it is your intention. We are just starting to become friends-or maybe something more and I know you don't trust a-"

"It's not that, I promise!" She cuts me off, scrambling to move closer to me. I clasp her hand and smooch her knuckles. "I want to tell you but I just don't know how to start or where to start."

We stare at each other for a while. "Start on your own accord. I remember you telling me about your dad and how he, you know. . . ruined your family."

She nods, "yeah, so you know that my dad is rich and all, owner of Wilson Enterprises. He-he has cancer and. . . he doesn't have anyone else to take over his company."