» [s.g.] background

Samuel Richard Gardner was born to Richard Gardner and Margaret Gardner (née Tanner) on February 24th, 1949

Samuel Richard Gardner was born to Richard Gardner and Margaret Gardner (née Tanner) on February 24th, 1949. Though he spent a good portion of his teenage life in Tulsa, Oklahoma, he was born in New York City. At the age of two, Sam's father died in combat, serving in the Korean War, leaving his mother to raise Sam on her own. He was estranged from his maternal grandparents as they did not support their daughter attempting to make a living on her own as an artist and not remarrying after the death of Richard. He spent a fruitful childhood, spending his time outside and reading books.

At ten, Sam contracted a very bad case of rheumatic fever, and the care of his doctor encouraged him to pursue a career as a doctor. Soon, he and his mother relocated to Tulsa for a change of pace and Margaret's own choice to distance her son from the brutalities of a business that was left in his hands following the death of her husband. There, Sam joined the football and baseball team at Will Rogers High School and became quite popular, frequenting Soc hangouts and befriending Thomas Reed and Greg Ericson. He drove a white Corvair, embodying the spirit of a true Soc, although he received a much better childhood with his mother compared to his friends.

At the age of seventeen, Sam encountered Virginia Curtis and although their relationship started off rocky following an altercation in the movie theater, they began a friendship, and later a romantic relationship. Sam struggled with a rivalry with the greaser, Dallas Winston as well as other issues concerning the sexual assault of Sarah-Jane Wyatt, leading him to abandon his friendship with the perpetrator, Greg Ericson.

Sam later made the choice to join the army and serve in Vietnam. Although faced with opposition from his girlfriend, she later conceded and they departed on emotional terms. The two continued to write letters to each other, becoming engaged during his time away. Sadly, it came to a sharp end as Sam died in combat, protecting his platoon during a rogue grenade ambush. He enclosed his proper goodbyes in a letter given to Virginia by his mother. In addition to the letter, he left her the payment received by the sale of his company shares, fulfilling his wish to see her succeed and chase the dreams they had disclosed to each other in their first date.

Instead of being buried in his birthplace, New York, his body was interred in Tulsa. His funeral was attended by his loved ones and numerous Socs and greasers, proving the impact his life made to break the shackles of their rivalry.

Despite his sudden death, Sam left a deep impression on Virginia and the story. He was her kindred spirit to the end, though there is no possible way she would ever forget him or the new meaning of love he had given her.

 He was her kindred spirit to the end, though there is no possible way she would ever forget him or the new meaning of love he had given her