» [t.v.] background

Maegya Theadora Valaryen, born Rhaenerys Valaryen, legally Theadora Martell and colloquially known as Thea is the the last surviving member of House Valaryen

Maegya Theadora Valaryen, born Rhaenerys Valaryen, legally Theadora Martell and colloquially known as Thea is the the last surviving member of House Valaryen. She is the younger sister of Rhaeon Valaryen and the only daughter of Maegyo Aeres Valaryen and Elaenys Valaryen. While Rhaeon and Aeres died during the Valaryen Purge, Elaenys died at the hands of Thanos shortly after Thea's birth.

As a baby, she fled her birthplace of Dragonfort, Ivorstone with her savior, guardian, and sister-figure, Serafina Celtigar to the United States to evade an attempt by the Mad Titan Thanos to assassinate her. The two frequently moved, ranging from cities like Wichita, Boston, and Chicago to evade hired assassins by Asgard and Thanos alike. To keep her out of the public eye, her name was legally changed to Theadora Martell. The two finally ended up in Queens, New York where they attempted to take up permanent residence.

Growing up, Thea endured hardships living with Serafina, who had once been thought to marry her brother before his late death. Being one of the last Sovrani people and the last living member of her family made her feel lonely and not understood. Thea began to exhibit her latent powers of Dragofyre, a magic that was once believed to be dead. The effects of the magic, primarily its source, caused early anxiety and led her to obtain a prescription that often didn't work.

Thea disregarded using her magical powers in favor of learning the Valoqar's Water Dance, an ancient Sovrani fighting style. She embraced her rich culture and the desire to go back home and reclaim The Ember, the cosmic source of the Fyre, and the abilities that gave the Sovrani their powers and association with dragons. Thea grew up speaking Old Sovrani, learning about her family history and the brutal war between Asgard and Sovranys dating several millennia.

Throughout her life, Thea was taught to regard the Asgardians, more specifically Thor and his father, Odin as they were the two headlining the purge that destroyed her family, with hatred and spite. As she progressed in age, Serafina felt more inclined to use Thea's powers to take revenge and even seize the Nine Realms which had been informally established by her ancestor, Rhaenar Valaryen.

However, Bex Ortega, Thea's best friend in Queens, attempted to convince her to use the Fyre to become a vigilante alongside Spider-Man. The two became friends quickly, as Bex was the only person to not be unnerved by her family history and her indirect connection to the Greenflame Massacre nine months before her birth. The two's relationship often had them called the Twisted Twins, as they had a mutually "twisted" way of thinking.

Soon, following a Kree assassin ambush and an unlikely meeting with Spider-Man, she adopted the vigilante name, Illyris, Old Sovrani for The Dragonborn. The Valaryens were often called "dragonborn" as a collective group and as Thea is the last one living, she adopted the name as a proper noun befitting her status. Her powers caused a stir, as well as her foreign fighting style, advancing the question of enhanced people emerging in the world as well as the existence of House Valaryen. The pinnacle of her achievements came at the hatching of Rhaegon and Vissera, the first dragons born into the universe in thousands of years.

On the outside, Thea is often described as sarcastic, iron-willed, cunning, and determined though underneath, she is a very damaged young girl who had many pressures of upholding her family legacy on her shoulders. Despite her troubles, Thea is highly intelligent, attending Midtown School of Science and Technology, and joining the Academic Decathlon team where she first met Peter Parker. Though she tries to keep her head down, she is unafraid of standing up to snobs or bullies, especially if they try picking on her friends. Part of this urge to help and take pity on the downtrodden stems from the fact that the Sovrani were discriminated and purged for sorcery as well as her slandered name as a Valaryen.

In the beginning, her fashion style was composed of subtle earth tones and included flannel patterns, loose jeans, turtlenecks, and sweaters often paired together or mismatched. Later, she began wearing more red and black, embracing her Valaryen heritage as she grew in power. Her outfits often have dragon motifs, ranging from necklaces to elaborate embroidery on her suits. As Illyris, she wears a pin of her family crest, a three-headed dragon pin that belonged to her mother and since became melded to a chain she wears courtesy of Tony Stark.

Thea's story is one of destiny, restoration, and learning to become her own person to bring back the Valaryen name into that of power and fire. Her life becomes intrinsically connected with Queens' favorite hero, Spider-Man.

She formally titles herself as Theadora Rhaenerys of the House Valaryen, the Radiant Illyris, the Maegya of the Great Westlands, Commander Regnant of the Valoqar, the Firebane, the Light of Justice, the Mother of Magic, and Mistress of Dragons thought it is often shortened to Theadora Rhaenerys of the House Valaryen, Mother of Magic and Mistress of Dragons.