Chapter 40

Mirabel’s heart rose in her throat, pounding furiously. If Boris was here, did that mean his comrades hadn’t left either? And if the rest of the gang was here… she swallowed.

Hearing Boris’s footsteps behind her, she whirled around. Maybe it wasn’t him. Maybe it was just someone who sounded like him, spoke like him… looked like him.

It was definitely Boris. The world seemed to slow as her widening eyes caught sight of him stepping closer to her, an unreadable expression on his face. His eyes glinted sharply in the light of the setting sun. To Mirabel those eyes had never looked more dangerous.

No.

In a split second, the world caught up with itself. Mirabel turned, heart in a panic, and she ran. She had been lucky to escape her captors’ grasp the first time, and to escape twice had been a miracle. She would not allow herself to be caught again.

A muffled curse sounded behind her, and she urged herself to run faster. Her foot caught on her skirt, and she almost fell. Recovering quickly, she hitched her skirts up higher. She could only hope that the rest of her captors weren’t hiding, waiting to ambush her. With Boris hot in pursuit, there was nothing she could do if she was caught by one of them.

What was Boris even doing here? What were any of them doing here? Gisella had sent them on their way, hadn’t she? There was no reason to keep them around.

Unless Gisella had anticipated this. What if she had known Mirabel would escape, and set her previous captors as guards? But no. Even Mirabel hadn’t known she would escape. She had seemed doomed from the start.

Boris’s heavy breathing was getting louder behind her. Mirabel was tempted to glance over her shoulder and see how close he was, but she stopped herself. Sometimes it was better not knowing. Instead, she forced herself to go faster.

She knew she couldn’t keep this up for much longer. She was already exhausted. Her eyes darted around her surroundings, looking for something to help her. All she could see were trees. When she had bolted from Boris, she had instinctively headed for the forest, a decision she was beginning to regret. The branches kept catching on her skirts, on her hair, scratching her hands and her face. It was slowing her down.

The forest left no place to hide. Boris was right behind her, and he was sure to see her if she tried to hide behind a tree. She couldn’t climb one of the trees, either. He would only wait her out.

There was nothing she could do but run. Her breathing came ragged as she pushed herself harder. She would not be caught. She could not be caught.

Except she could. In her distraction, her foot snagged on a root, and she fell, tumbling to the ground. She scrambled, trying to get to her feet before he caught up. Before he caught her. She just needed to-

Strong arms grabbed her, and her lips parted in a silent scream. She began kicking at her captor, struggling with all her might as tears of panic rolled down her cheeks. No no no no no.

Boris grunted as her feeble attempts landed, but he didn’t let go. He held on tight, unmoving. Slowly, the rain of punches died down and the struggling ceased, replaced with a sobbing girl. It was only then that he loosened his grip, letting her slowly to the ground. She huddled into herself, away from the hands that still held her captive.

As her whimpers began to die down, Boris let his hands fall slowly away. He made a split second decision and straightened, taking a step back.

A twig snapped beneath his foot, and Mirabel’s head jerked up to look at him. Tears blurring her vision, she only understood that he was no longer holding her. And even that she didn’t fully understand. Her mind was too fogged with terror and exhaustion. Swallowing her sobs, she too stood and took a step back, gauging his reaction. He did nothing. She took another step back. And then, with tears still misting her eyes and blurring his face, she turned and she ran. She didn’t understand why he had done what he did, but at that moment it didn’t matter. For that moment, she was free.