Chapter 20

Virgil looked at Logan suspiciously. A grin spread over Logan's face.

"Lo, what did you do?" Virgil asked.

Logan shrugged, still grinning. "Wouldn't you like to know, weatherboy." He said.

"You obviously want to tell us, Logan." Remus said with an eye roll. "So spill."

Logan pulled a key out from under the strap of his binder. "Tada." He said. "We're free to come and go as we please."

Remus and Janus stared at Logan, wide eyes and open mouths. Logan giggled feebly under his breath.

"How," said Janus, "the fuck did you do that?"

Logan shrugged, his grin fading to nothing. "A magician never reveals his secrets." He said, trying to play it off as care-free but suspecting he did terribly.

"Lo." Virgil said. "You okay?"

"I'm fine." Logan said sharply. He sighed unnoticeably. "Look, we can go now. And then we can get Virgil's headphones back."

"We can't." Roman said. Virgil looked at him.

"And why not, Princey?" Virgil asked, insult creeping into his voice.

"Because of Daniel and Freddie." Roman said matter-of-factly.

"So what about Daniel and Freddie?" Remus asked. "You saw how Specs took on Freddie. We can take them both."

"What, and land us all another detention?" Roman asked. "Re, for once in your life, be fucking serious." He let out a deep breath and turned to Logan. "I agree that we can go. But not right now."

"Why not?" Virgil asked.

"Because in ten minutes, Daniel or Freddie or both are going to come bursting through that door ready with some form of torture. Are you all blind? They do this nearly every hour!" Roman snapped. He closed his eyes and sighed. "Sorry. But look, we can go but not until Daniel and Freddie are surely out of the way."

"You worry too much, Romano." Janus said confidently, crossing his heels.

"You're one to talk." Roman muttered, rolling his eyes.

"So what if Dan or Freds come while we're gone?" Janus asked, leaning back on his hands. "The school's huge, they'll never find us."

"You really are stupid, you know that Janus?" Roman said. "Imagine you were Daniel-"

"God forbid."

"And you came here expecting to find your five victims to goad." Roman pressed on as if Janus hadn't spoken. "And they weren't here. Well, they've got to come back one time, don't they? So you wait. And you get Freddie to wait. And whoever comes back first, unlucky number one, gets beaten up til they can barely see anymore."

"You seem to know an awful lot about this, Princey." Virgil said.

"Let's just say dating Janus," Roman half-nodded his head in Janus' direction, "wasn't the best for my popularity."

"The only reason you dated me was because I was good for your popularity." Janus snapped, sitting forward.

"Shut up." Roman said. "I'm not having anyone hurt."

"Since when were you in charge?" Logan asked. He dangled the key from his hand. "I'm the one with the way out."

"Yes, but I'm the smartest here." Roman said.

"Ro, please, you're in bottom set for everything!" Remus barked with another roll of his eyes. Roman glared at his brother before continuing.

"No one here is getting hurt." Roman said. "So we can wait."

"What, for me to have another attack?" Virgil asked. "Yeah, that's a smart plan, Roman." He said scathingly. "Wait for my third attack of the morning so you get to play saviour again."

"Would everyone just shut up for five minutes?!" Roman yelled. He put his head in his hands, digging his fingers through his hair, and took a deep breath.

"Look," Roman said, not looking up, "I don't like the idea either. I don't like the thought of Virgil having another panic attack  - in fact, I hate it - but it's dangerous for us to go now. I'm not saying sacrifice the few for the many but leaving now would be stupid and maybe even life-threatening." Roman looked up at the others now. "I can't be the only one who remembers what happened to the little Year 7 kid, right?"

They all looked down. Logan sighed.

"Okay, fine but-" Logan was cut off by the door flying open and an insanely angry Freddie storming into the room.

"Alright, which one of you fuckers stole my key?!"

Hi! Sorry the chapter's so late, I had a sleepover and I was spending time with my friend and... yeah. Sorry.
Bye,
Blaize