|I{•------» [13] «------•}I|

Ruka watched as Zabuza's hands formed the unmistakable hand signs of the Water Dragon Blast Jutsu, momentarily awestruck by the sight. It was only when the water began to surge and form one of the largest waves she had ever seen that she snapped out of her internal debate. Kakashi's voice filled the air as he unleashed a jutsu. "Water Explosion Jutsu!"

A massive whirlpool-like wave appeared, and Sasuke swiftly cradled Ruka in his arms, arching his body to protect her as the water crashed into his back, almost sending them flying.

Ruka quickly wriggled out of his arms and rushed toward Kakashi, concerned that he might collapse at any moment. The silver-haired Jounin stood towering over the drenched figure of Zabuza, holding a shuriken in his hand. But it wasn't the shuriken that widened the hidden mist rogue's eyes in disbelief; it was the words directed at Sasuke, who now stood beside Kakashi.

"Just like I thought, Ruka," Kakashi remarked.

Ruka looked up at him, smirking. "Yeah?"

Zabuza, still feeling the effects of Kakashi's massive wave, shook his head and instantly regretted it. "You're lying. She can't manipulate water on this scale. My bingo book-"

"Your bingo book is outdated," Kakashi interrupted with a nonchalant shrug. "You were right about one thing, though. Water is Ruka's weakest chakra nature, but you should know... Ruka is unpredictable."

---

"I can't thank you enough for intercepting, Zabuza. He's been my target for far too long," Ruka said, exchanging a glance with Kakashi, who leaned on her for support. She narrowed her eyes at the stranger. "You're a Hidden Mist Hunter ninja."

The Hidden Mist ninja nodded. "Impressive, but I would expect nothing less from the prodigy of Konoha."

"So you do know who we are," Kakashi said, his grip on Ruka tightening. He eyed the male warily. "But you know Ruka?"

"I don't believe there are many ANBU or rogue shinobi in the five great nations who don't know who the descendants and relatives of the Kages are," the young male replied, cocking his head. "Especially the ones whose presence changes everything."

Ruka quickly averted her eyes, feeling uneasy. She had been hearing comments like that all day and still didn't know why, but it was the least of her concerns for now.

---

Sakura entered the small bedroom at the back of Tazuna's home to find Ruka sitting in the corner of Kakashi's bed, engrossed in a book. It had been a day and a half since they arrived at Tazuna's home after Kakashi's fainting spell. Ruka felt utterly useless that day, blaming herself for hesitating and causing Kakashi's condition and the injuries to her teammates.

"He's still not awake?" Sakura asked, her frown reflecting her worry.

Ruka, who had barely raised her head to acknowledge Sakura's presence, finally looked up and shrugged Here's the proofread version:

"It happens when he uses his Sharingan a lot. It drains him not only of his chakra but also his energy," Ruka explained. Sakura's green eyes widened in surprise. "But why does he use the Sharingan if it causes him so much damage?"

"Sometimes protecting those we care about comes with a price," Ruka whispered. Sakura furrowed her brow in confusion. She could sense the bond between Ruka and Kakashi, so she didn't understand the statement. "You've known him for a long time."

Ruka fell silent for a while. "When I was young, he saved me. Without him, I wouldn't be the person I am today."

She had never shared this with anyone, especially not with Kakashi after the way he had treated her that day. But after witnessing how he stood in front of her, she felt compelled to confide in someone.

Sakura nodded slowly, processing Ruka's words in silence before mustering her courage to address what had been bothering her since their encounter with the masked ninja from the Hidden Mist. "I've been thinking about what Kakashi-sensei said yesterday... about there being kids out there much stronger than us, even stronger than him."

Ruka remained silent, indicating that she was allowing Sakura to continue.

"And I realized he was speaking from experience; he was talking about you."

"I wouldn't say I'm stronger than him," Ruka responded.

"But you are strong," Sakura insisted, causing Ruka to look up at her. "Stronger than us."

Annoyance briefly flashed across Ruka's face, but it softened when she noticed Sakura flinch away. "You don't understand, Sakura," she muttered. "Unlike you guys, I didn't have the same childhood as you did. My grandfather put me through brutal training and a few missions that changed me."

"We were never friends back then," Ruka said, looking at Sakura. "So you wouldn't know."

Reflecting on the past, Sakura struggled to recall playing with Ruka or anyone else. The only person she was close to back then was Shikamaru and Kiba. She remembered Ruka wanting to be friends with her, but she had pushed her away.