Terra

PART VI

TERRA

I swipe through my phone looking at photos of home. Me in front of the Eiffel tower. Me and Mom eating lunch by the Seine. Me and Dad gardening in the backyard. Busy nights at Times Square. Home. Not this hell hole of a place. I miss the city, the lights, the people. People back home would dream of owning a magazine, of being a famous actor, of changing the world. Not of eating at every greasy spoon in town – there has to be one on every street.

I have been here for over a year - a year way too long. I simply have to wait for graduation, and then I'll be on the first flight out of here. I might not have any family in France anymore, and I definitely don't have any more family in New York, but the mere memory of my parents lives in those cities. If I am to ever feel close to them again, it will be at home.

I wipe away my stray tear and lock my phone. That's enough mourning for one day. I still have the SATs to prep for. I pick up a textbook and stare at the stupid cover of smiling children. It's hard to concentrate after daydreaming of my parents. It all feels so pointless. What good will the SATs be in Paris? The only thing driving me forward is my innate need to succeed at everything I do.

After half an hour studying, I allow myself a well earned break. A coffee and a bagel sounds about right. I leave my room and start heading towards the stairs when I hear raised voices. That's strange. No one ever argues in this house - it's so dull. It lacks the passion, the zest that I so dearly crave. But these voices are coming from my aunt and uncle's bedroom.

I edge closer to the door with every intention of eavesdropping. George and Reina appear the definition of a blissful marriage – whatever has them arguing must be good.

"No, Reina, we can't ask her. It's not right," Uncle George cries out.

"She's being given millions. College tuition will hardly make a dent. Besides, we're her guardians now."

I raise my eyebrows. Oh. So, they're talking about me. Me and my money... I push my ear closer to the door, not wanting to miss a word.

"Her parents are dead. My brother."

There's a moment of silence, and Reina's next words come out a lot softer. "I know, I know. I didn't mean it like that. I'm glad to be Terra's guardian; I wouldn't have it any other way. But this will save Ivy's future."

I clench my fists as I listen. My heart is thumping in my ears, making it hard to hear, but I have heard enough. I storm off back to my room, slam the door shut, and stand still, letting the angry tears fall.

She doesn't deserve it. Her parents are still alive; she has everything. I deserve the money, every last cent. I'm the one who is alone now. I'm the one who doesn't have parents. And I refuse to be taken advantage of. 

I leave my textbook abandoned on my desk and take out my phone again. This is dangerous, I know. Looking at photos of my parents, dreaming of a world where they're still alive, allowing the grief to soak through me, only leads me down a dark hole that's impossible to leave. But I can't help it. I need them with me, and memories are the closest replacement I can get. 

I stay wrapped up in my bed, soaking my pillow with tears, until Reina calls me down for dinner. Probably some kind of stew. Reina loves her stew.

I wipe my face and head down to the kitchen. Ivy is already at the table, looking as manic as ever. I swear, that girl is one bad word away from a mental breakdown. She has no idea that I know what she's been up to. Taking a pill or two to get her through long nights studying.