Chapter 27. Never look back

Four pairs of eyes landed on my sister and I, like a spotlight on a stage. Coincidentally, it was a familiar pair of emerald green eyes that locked with mine first and I held my gaze. It was rare that when I was with William, let alone looking in his eyes that my mind was able to function properly. Thankfully, this was one of those moments.

In my peripheral vision, I could see Christina look at me and then to William. Our eyes still locked on one another, like a mother bear protecting her cub, Christina began charging towards William. I reached my arm out and was able to grab her wrist just in the nick-of-time. Had I hesitated for even a moment she would have been out of reach and the wrath of Christina Price would have descended upon them.

"Christina Price!" Principle Myers called to my sister, disapproval stuck to her tongue like velcro.

I pulled Christina closer to me, my eyes still locked on Williams. He looked drained. Lifeless even with his eyes void of emotion. It made me feel ill. Addressing my sister, I was the first to look away. I twisted Christina around so she was facing me and as close to me as possible without us looking like something from flowers in the attic. "You need to stop." I spoke low enough so only she could hear me. "It's his grandfather. Something is up. Don't blow our cover, please."

"Something is up." Christina spoke through gritted teeth and mimicked the volume of my own. "But if William's driver reports back to 'Daddy Warbucks' over there, he thinks William had something going on with me. So, let me go and let me do this." There was no talking her out of this. "I promise I won't go total ape shit and I won't hurt anyone." She smirked at me and jerked her arm out of my grip.

"Young lady, I suggest you watch your manners." Gregory Mencini addressed Christina and with that, I decided I would sit back and enjoy the show.

Christina turned on her very stiletto heels, her blonde bouncy hair twirling with the movement, and made her way toward the four. Eyes locked on Gregory Mencini, the sound of her heels clicked like a warning on the faux tile floor. "My manners?" She questioned the plump old man. "I went away for a weekend with my family and came back to find the man I assumed to be dating, is hand in hand with another woman." She took a dramatic pause once she was a mere two feet in front of the group. "I'm sorry, I must be confusing manners with morals. Either way, I think I deserve an explanation." She moved her eyes from Gregory Mencini and looked past him. "Don't you think, William?!" Her voice elevator as she spoke his name.

Williams mouth opened as though he was about to speak but was cut off by his grandfather's devilish laugh. "Please. My Grandson is a Mencini. He is to marry within his social status. His days of toying around with delinquents are behind him. I'm sorry but you'll have to get over your little school girl crush." I didn't miss that he glanced in my direction when he made that last comment.

Now I was pissed. "Delinquent?" I marched forward.

"Christian. Please don't." Principal Myers warned me.

"My sister is a straight A student and the daughter of one of the most renown cardio thoracic surgeons in the state. Not that any of that should matter but you should really be more wise with your words." As I spoke I could feel Williams' eyes on me. Still, my mind was clear.

"You seem like a good brother. It's a shame she felt it necessary to create such a scene but I can appreciate your desire to defend her. Nevertheless, she deserves no explanation. My grandson is engaged to Ms. Wendy Whitmore. That's all she should care to know. Be on now, please." He turned him back on us leaving Christina and I in clear view of the engaged.

My eyes fell to their interlocked hands faster than my brain could comprehend what it saw. Williams' hand was holding Wendy's tiny, delicate, freshly manicured, dainty hands. On her ring finger, a diamond ring so large I was surprised her fragile fingers could hold it up.