8

Ximena Kai Carter

"Hey mama" I kissed her cheek as she cooked some rice.
Looking at me with a bright smile, she engulfed me with a hug as I chuckled.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" She asked as she gave her attention to me.
"I can't come see my mama?" I questioned as I grabbed some grapes to eat.
"I mean you can but it's rare that I see this face. Xahier is over here more than you"
I rolled my eyes.
"Come on. You know I work crazy hours at the hospital. I just wanna earn enough so I can start my business"
She nodded.
"Go get washed up so we can eat" I hurried to the washroom to wash my hands and made my way to the island in her kitchen.

"Here you go" she placed my plate in front of me with a glass of my favorite flavor of juice, cranberry.
"When do you plan to start this business?"
"It's now June, so I'm hoping by August I can find a spot. I've been experimenting on the different scents of candles I'll be making for the past 6 months so it's time to get it started"
"I'm very proud of how determined you are to achieve your dreams. If it's one thing I've always taught you and your brother is to follow your dreams no matter how little it might seem to others"

We didn't have the best relationship with our mother. She worked crazy hours as a lawyer and most of her time was dedicated to that. When our dad passed, it got worst. She basically worked to keep her mind off of that but one thing she always made sure was that her kids were never slacking when it came to school. She had set up both of our college funds way before we finished high school.
We had anything we wanted; materialistically but the love wasn't there as much as we wanted.
When she finally retired, she tried her hardest to show us how much she really cared for us. At first I was rebellious because when I needed her the most she was at work or out of town.
I'm trying my hardest to fix things. No matter how long it takes.

My phone started ringing. Looking at the ID it was Farrah.
"Heyy"
"Hey girl. What you doing?"
"I'm at moms having dinner"
"I'm at your place. I should've texted first. Bring me a plate when you're coming though and tell her I said hello"
"Okay I'll see you in a few" I hung up.
"Farrah said hello"
"How's she doing? I haven't seen her in so long. Bring her by next time"
I nodded as I got up to wash my dishes.
Afterwards, I quickly made Farrah a plate to go.
"Thank you for stopping by" she gave me another hug and I kissed her cheek.
"You don't have to thank me mom" I said sincerely.
"I'll see you soon"
"Okay drive safe"

It only took me 8 mins to get to my apartment since traffic wasn't as hectic.

I made my way into my apartment. Farrah was on the couch watching tv. I made my way to the kitchen to warm her plate. I grabbed her a soda along with her hot food and took it to her.
"Aw thank you bestieee" she cooed. I waved her off.
"Let's go out" she said stuffing her face with mashed potatoes.
I decided not to object because it didn't seem like a bad idea. Making my way to my room, I decided on what I should wear.
I used the toilet, took a shower and brushed my teeth.
Farrah was doing her make up when I got out.
I did my hair then my makeup; something simple.
Afterwards, I lotion my body and got dressed.
Farrah was already dressed before me.
"Ouu bitch we look goodttt" she sassed as we looked at our reflections in the mirror.
I did the "period" hand signal as we both laughed.