Chapter 2

"Jennifer" came the soft voice of Jade, Luna of the Black Shadows Pack. "What's going on? Why aren't you healing and what is going on in that mind of yours that is causing you so much pain?"

The Luna of the pack, who had gone through her own seasons of torment and misery, was sitting next to Jennifer, holding her hand speaking softly to her. The doctor had let the Alpha and Luna know that there hadn't been much change in several days and that he had no further medical solutions to attempt, and the Luna felt she needed to come see Jennifer herself, if nothing else than simply to make her more comfortable.

Jennifer could hear the Luna's voice, and her body reacted more violently than before, as she remembered how terribly she had behaved toward the Alpha and the Luna when Jade had first been brought to the pack. Jennifer remembered how she had actually gotten the Alpha to consider a relationship with her before he found his mate, and Jennifer believed she would be able to convince him to reject his mate even after he had brought Jade back to the pack. Jennifer had insulted the Luna on multiple occasions, both to her face and to other wolves. She had told Jade that she was unworthy to be Luna and had continue to throw herself at Dante, even when Dante had clearly told her that he would not be choosing her over his mate.

And here the Luna was, being kind to her when she didn't deserve it. The Luna had even saved Jennifer's life when Luther, Alpha of the Blood Moon Pack had attacked. It was then that Jennifer began to see what a true Luna was like. She was beginning to see why Dante would choose someone like Jade over here, even if there hadn't been a mate-bond to contend with. Even Luther had wanted Jade, and the day he came to attack, he was there for Jade and took her back to his pack, never even aware of Jennifer and that she had only been a few feet away at the time.

Here she was, her wolf hiding deep inside, wallowing in her pain while her body refused to heal. And the very Luna she had treated so horribly was beside her, encouraging her and trying to soothe her pain. Jennifer was coming face to face with the realization that she a miserable excuse for a she-wolf. She looked back on the last several years of her life regretted how much time and energy she had wasted on foolish things, and how little she understood about what made a strong she-wolf, like her Luna.

"I'm so sorry" Jennifer finally was able to say, through tears and bodily convulsions.

"It's ok," Jade replied. "Whatever you are going through now, focus on that. Don't worry about me."

"Why did you save my life?" Jennifer sobbed. "I was so awful to you, I tried to drive your mate away from you, when you were vulnerable. Why are you being so nice to me?"

"Jennifer," Jade replied softly, while wiping the perspiration from Jennifer's forehead. "Yes, you were unkind to me, but if I killed or even let die everyone who was mean to me, what kind of a woman would I be? There was a time when I thought I would have wanted you dead, but I chose then and I choose now, to help others find the good in themselves, if there's any good to be found. And there is good in you Jennifer, I just hope you choose to let it out."

Jennifer continued to cry, feeling the weight of forgiveness that she didn't deserve, that she had never expected and was afraid she couldn't live up to. She finally fell asleep, discouraged and still feeling the painful effects of her recent injuries that had placed her in the hospital in the first place.

Jennifer's subconscious mind returned to the day she met her mate. It was shortly after her 18th birthday, and she and her family had already traveled to four different packs, and she was still mate-less. There were only two packs left on their itinerary to visit. The Blood Moon pack and the Silver Crescent pack. Jennifer was hoping she would find her mate at the Blood Moon pack, and her hopes her high when the car arrived at the pack house.

Jennifer had chosen to wear a cute pink sun dress with white flowers that unsuccessfully tried to create the illusion of curves that weren't there and gave a general immaturity to her overall appearance that was fitting for her youthful mindset. When she and her parents entered the pack house, she was immediately hit with a riche scent of pine that filled her senses with tingles and her heart began to race. She could feel her wolf's excitement mounting and she looked frantically around, realizing immediately that she must be smelling the scent of her mate, and her eagerness took hold of her.

Jennifer quickly pranced about the pack house, following the scent of her mate hoping to find him. The scent was everywhere and it took her a few minutes of following it before she finally came to a closed door, behind which she was certain she would find him. Without even considering that she was a visitor in a strange pack house, she boldly opened the door in front of her and stepped inside. Her wolf urging her forward, eagerly anticipating the moment when she would finally meet her mate.

Luther, recently appointed Alpha of the Blood Moon Pack was sitting in his office at his desk, when he could feel his wolf getting restless. He was looking over papers when the door opened and he was suddenly hit with a warm and inviting scent of lavender, and in walked a young she-wolf completely oblivious to the fact that she had just entered the Alpha's office uninvited.

Luther had been looking for his mate for two years, and he had very specific ideas of what he wanted and expected in a mate. As an Alpha, he had already decided that he wouldn't accept a mate who wasn't of an Alpha or at least Beta bloodline. He also had ideas about what he desired her to look like and how she would behave. The girl who entered his office, who he knew immediately was his mate, was nothing like what he was determined to have in a mate. His wolf, however tried to push him forward, feeling the mate bond and desiring to embrace his mate immediately.

"What are you doing in here?" Luther snarled at her, physically restraining himself from moving toward her.