Dreams

Really quick summary: Takes place in modern world. Human au. There has been chemistry between will and tessa but they don't act on it. They are sort of friends. Tessa begins having dreams of what could be. I'm aware it's unrealistic and all but I just wanted to write it. Tessa's POV

I don't own the picture above.

3879 words

———————

This dream, like the others, scared me.

It wasn't that they were nightmares because they were nothing of the sort. They were dreams, just beautiful hopeful dreams. Little subconscious etchings upon my heart, from the secret part of me that yearned for William Herondale.

In the daytime, I suppressed it. So much so that I tell myself that Will is an annoying friend, if he could even be counted as that, and I believe it because it is the truth. It's just how our dynamic works.

But there are little moments where that blurred out and something new took place. A new truth. In those little moments, I allowed myself to admit that it wasn't a silly crush or some passing appreciation of him. That possibility died out after the second year I knew him. Because when I got to know him in these little moments, I knew that I liked Will. A lot.

Like when he held my hand when my brother was in the hospital for an accident that occurred because of his drunk driving. Or when he gifted me my favorite book as a birthday present and even wrote sweet notes for me in the margins. When he would text me every day to make sure I got home alright even if the first few times he told me his mom asked him to do so. When he drove me home after a party and gave me a kiss on the forehead in my doorway.

This mad fluttering sensation would fill my stomach when he gave me a real smile. He always had different ones and they came off him like layers/masks. Every time I thought I'd seen them all, there would be a new one. I've only ever seen his real, beautiful smile a handful of times. Maybe that was why there was a catch in my breath whenever I caught wind of one.

But though I managed to suppress this innate piece of me that liked him. It turns out that every so often, there would be an exception. Lately, it's been dreams. In my sleep, my subconscious won't allow me to ignore my attraction to him. My longing for more than being kind-of-friends.

Tonight wasn't like the others in some ways. In the others, Will and I looked about the same age we are now: I'm 21 and he's 23. In this one, we looked a few years older.

It was like the others in this way. I was sort of in the backseat of my body. I knew what my body was doing, what my senses were telling me, what words I was saying. But since I couldn't control myself, I could only gather what my eyes look at, what things I feel, and the words that came out of my mouth or what I did, were things Dream-Tessa did, not the me watching in the back.

Reasons this dream scared me:
-Will and I were definitely together. 

-We were so happy, almost an unrealistic sort.
-The dream felt real.
-It makes me want something I'll probably never have with him.
-And since I can't imagine it not being with him, then I would probably never ever have it.
—————————————————
It was dinner.

I was sitting on a high-backed chair, elbows on the top of the kitchen island which was doubling as a dinner table, chin resting in my hands.

There was something different in texture on one of my fingers. I could feel the smoothness of it against my chin.

The table/island was decorated beautifully. It was stunning. Sweet-smelling flowers were put in a vase and the table was set with nice cutlery and plates.