Chapter 13

Towers of unorganised papers and files were stacked up on Alisha's desk. She sat there staring at her piles of work. It'd take days to get through it all, perhaps longer considering she'd been sitting there for three hours and felt as though she hadn't even left a dent. Ever since they visited the bunker, all Alisha could think about was Ellie.

A nearby phone rang loudly, waking her up from her daydream. With a sigh, Alisha picked up the phone.

"This is Miss Evans speaking. How can I help you?"

"Miss Evans, I'm wondering how the progress is going on this month's report?" A voice asked. It was Stephen Shen. His voice was raspy, worn down from decades of yelling obscenities at the hard working scientists of NEXUS whenever they slipped behind.

Alisha gazed over at the towers of papers again. She had barely started. "It's almost done Mr Shen, I should have it ready before our next meeting."

"Good. Make sure it's done, you have four days." Before she had a chance to respond, the phone turned to the repetitive tone of an ended call. Alisha placed the phone back down on her desk and laid back staring at the blank ceiling, letting out a sigh.

"I really need a drink."

Alisha sat at the bar waiting for the bartender to notice her

Alisha sat at the bar waiting for the bartender to notice her. A few other NEXUS workers were sitting around, but the bar was mostly empty. It was always empty at this time of day. She fiddled with her hands waiting patiently, trying to decide what drink she'd prefer.

Red wine? Beer? Scotch?

...Whiskey?

"Miss Evans!" A friendly voice called out. Alisha looked up to see Russel, the bartender wandering over.

"Russel!" She returned his genuine smile with a fake smile of her own, although she wasn't feeling particularly happy. Over the years she'd had a lot of practice faking her emotions, and it seemed to fool everyone...

Everyone except Carter.

"The usual?" He asked, taking down a wine bottle from the back wall. She nodded, making her final decision on a drink.

Wine it is.

He grabbed a glass and poured some of the red wine into it. "Busy day huh?"

"Definitely," she sighed. Russel handed her the glass. "Thank you."

Russel walked off to some other customers. She drank slowly, savouring every drop of the red liquid. The taste. The smell.

It was always intoxicating.

A hand touched her shoulder and she flinched, nearly inhaling her drink. She looked to her side and saw Gabriel next to her. She relaxed, safe in the knowledge that she wasn't being arrested. Yet.

"You won't believe this," he slid a piece of paper across the table.

"What is this?"

"An entry form," he whispered in her ear. He leaned over the table with his arm partially covering the paper. Alisha glanced over his shoulder, spying a security camera on the other side of the room.