Chapter 6

"Your father and mother found the butterfly and peacock miraculous together. The peacock miraculous was damaged though, so when she wore it, it weakened her until..." Nathalie sighed. "Until she fell into a permanent coma."

"She didn't leave us?" Adrien could barely get the words out. "Where is she now?" Why hadn't his father let him visit? Why had he let him think she left them?

"Your father has a secret atrium where the butterflies for the akumas mature. Your mother is there too in a cryogenic chamber that keeps her alive." Nathalie explained.

"All this time I've literally been sharing a house with Hawkmoth." Adrien shook his head in frustration. "How could I have been so blind and stupid."

"It's not your fault, Kitty." Ladybug tried to comfort him. "Why are you just telling us all of this now?"

"I am ashamed to admit that I was quite taken with Gabriel and was loyal to a fault. I thought he would move on and come to see what he was doing was wrong, but he's just gotten worse and more obsessive. I think using the miraculous for evil has begun to affect his emotions." Her head was turned down.

"If you were so loyal, why did he fire you?" Adrien was going to get all of the answers.

"I tried to talk him down. I thought he was putting you in danger too often, and that's not counting you fighting as Chat Noir, because I didn't know that at the time." She had spoken more words tonight than Adrien had ever heard her say over the years combined. "I was worried about you and when I saw you leave the house as Chat Noir, I didn't know what to do."

"You did the right thing by coming to us." Ladybug was known for giving out second chances and she knew Nathalie really needed one after all she had done. " It was really brave of you to tell us. I hope this doesn't put you in extra danger."

"It might, but that is why I let myself get akumatized. I thought if Gabriel thought I was still on his side, then maybe he would let me leave in peace. I was the only one who knew his identity, so I needed him to believe I would not go against him."

"How did you know you would able to resist Hawkmoth's control?" Ladybug was curious.

"The akuma makes your strongest emotions overtake you, but he can't read your thoughts, just your emotions. I was angry, but he couldn't tell who I was angry at. It was a risk, but I had to take it."

"That was quite a plan." Ladybug level, she thought to herself. "You had me convinced until my lucky charm. I saw the white flag and knew to give in."

"You're a clever girl, Ladybug." Nathalie knew from both sides of the battle now. "I trust you will protect Adrien."

"Of course." Ladybug squeezed the hand she was holding tighter.

"What are you going to do now? Where are you going to go?" Adrien thought of her as family and despite what she had done, he wanted her to be okay.

"I will figure something out. I have a cousin not too far away that I haven't seen in ages." Nathalie smiled encouragingly. "Before I go," She got serious again. "You should know that Hawkmoth has a large portion of the deciphered grimoire. He is more powerful than ever, even without me, and I believe he has something big planned. I'm sorry I don't know more."

"You've already helped us so much." Ladybug assured her. "You've really turned the tables for us. Now that we know who Hawkmoth is, we have the upper hand."

"I hope this isn't the last time I see you." Adrien dropped Ladybug's hand and walked up to Nathalie. "I love you, Nathalie. I wish things were different."

Nathalie's heart melted and she embraced him again. "I love you too, Adrien, and I don't think this is goodbye."

"Thank you for your help, Ms. Sancoeur." Ladybug shook her hand. "Although, maybe you should change your name to Ms. Grandcoeur."

"I just want to help make up for my past misjudgement."

"I'll take you to the train station." Adrien looked at Ladybug. "Can I have my miraculous back? I promise I'll meet you straight back at your place."

"Of course." Ladybug handed him the ring back and he slipped it on his finger. "I trust you, Adrien."

"Plagg?" Adrien called to the kwami after putting the miraculous back on.

"I'm here." Plagg ruffled Adrien's hair.

"Claws out!"