Sixteen

Snuggling deeper into the fresh scent of rain and pine trees, I tried to fall back into a deep slumber until a sharp cry of an infant jolted me upwards. Looking around me on the bed, I noticed my pup wasn't next to me. Panic settling in, I sprung out of bed ignoring the pain and stiffness of my body and bolted towards where the crying was coming from. I found the bedroom door open and ran across the hall to the nursery, only to find it empty. I could feel the fright and tears welling in my eyes as I heard the wails coming from down the stairs this time. Perhaps Miko had taken him, so that's what I told myself as I ran down the steps into the living room.

"No!!" Was retched from my lips as the sight in front of me really sank in.

"So precious, Austyn. A strong little pup you have here. Blood of a werewolf and angel mixed; yes, he will be quite useful.." the man trailed off. I didn't know this stranger who was holding my son. I didn't know how he got into our house, or where anyone else was. I quickly looked around the area only to cry out once more at the sights of my friends and mates lifeless bodies laying in pools of their own blood.

"Who are you!? What have you done!? Give me my son back, right now!" I had no rational thought process as the grief seemed to cloud any realistic thoughts. Deep down all I knew was that it was my son and I now, in danger, and the utmost ever present urge to protect my newborn. This man was pure evil, you could feel it stemming from him.

"Ah ah ah, I think I might keep him little Austyn. Allow him to grow with us in the Underworld. Feed my army this." He took a silver blade and nicked my son on the bottom of his foot, releasing more cries from him. It broke my heart and I couldn't do much to help him yet. "Yes, this blood will definitely be a good concoction to utilize. Thank you dearest, for producing such a fine thing. I will be taking him now, and I hope you have a nice nap." He said with a wink, before he threw a hand up and a ball of smoke came at me. I tried to run for them, but as the smoke surrounded me I watched them disappear with a snap and darkness brought me back to nothing.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

I jolted up in bed again, a loud and panicked "NO!" leaving my lips. Miko sprung up as well from my yell, looking around the room for the danger. I didn't stay long, as I jumped out of bed and raced for the nursery to see it with my own eyes. Running in, I saw he wasn't there. My baby wasn't there! I sank to the floor, realizing HE had taken him. That man, that evil deplorable man has my son! I felt numb, I couldn't do anything but sit where I sank. I felt Miko running to me asking me what was wrong, if I was alright, why I was crying. I couldn't process what I was hearing; my heart was shattering.

"Austyn.." something called to me. Staring straight ahead at the empty crib, I didn't know what was truly happening. "Austyn, protect him Austyn."

"Hello? Who's there?! Protect who!?" I whispered back. But got nothing in return. I saw Miko move in front of me, obscuring my stare down with the wall.

"He took him." I told Miko.

"Who baby? Who took who, where?" He asked in confusion.

"Henrik! He too Henrik!! Miko, HE took our baby! He wants to drain his blood and strengthen his army. We have to get him back!" I wailed hysterically. I covered my face as my body shook and heartbreaking sobs left me. I couldn't hear anything beyond my own cries, and I hadn't realized that Miko had brought me back to our room and placed me on the bed. I payed down under the covers once more, sobbing into the pillow and sheets. They smelt like him, my little Henrik, and Miko and myself. Miko returned to the bed, placing a bundle of something down next to me. It smelt like Henrik, making me want to cry harder if that was possible.

I couldn't make sense of anything past the heartache of him being taken away from me and not being able to do anything about it. Miko was trying to dry my tears and speak to me past the ringing in my ears I now heard.

"Look, Austyn. Protect him!" That same voice called to me.

"WHO!?" I yelled back.

A slight force barreling into my nose shot my eyes open, my hand reflexively going towards it to dull the sharp stinging pain. "Ow! Miko why did you do that?" I cried out.

"Baby, that wasn't me. He's quite strong I guess, and I don't think he likes you crying." Miko gently spoke as he caressed my face. I looked down in confusion, not understanding what was happening and I saw him. And like second nature, not even thinking of my actions, I scooped up the little bundle and hugged him to my chest. Crying in relief this time, holding my son in my arms.

A dream.

It was a dream, but it felt so real! "Protect him Austyn. For Hades wants his blood. He cannot have his blood.." the voices called out. Understanding now what it meant. We have to protect Henrik, that dream must have been what could happen and what would, if we weren't successful. My vow to protect my pup, my angel, was so strong in that moment it was like an outpouring of power blanketed Henrik and allowed us to glow. Like a protective shield of power and love was costing him.

"Baby, what happened? What's wrong?" Miko asked as he brought me into his lap. Holding us both to him, and stroking the soft cheek of a sleeping Henrik in my arms.

"A nightmare. Hades took him Miko. He wants him, his blood, for his army. We can't let that happen, we need to protect him. I thought he was truly gone when I didn't see him in the nursery.... I thought-" I was cut off by Miko's murderous growl, followed by his lips kissing me into silence. I relaxed furthermore in his own protective shield of arms. Holding both of us closer to him.

"He won't be getting near us, never mind our pup. He may have an army, but so do we. And if the carnage outside is any consolation, we out-power those creatures of darkness even if they look so otherwise. The pack here is fine, you've been asleep for about two days love. Everyone opened things up this morning and everyone was fine thankfully. Besides some structural damage and a few injuries, no one was mortally hurt."

Relaxing even more at the news, I leaned down to kiss my boy on the forehead. Bringing him ever closer to me.

"Good. We need to relocate, to a place only our little group knows of. We can't let anyone know where, we will have to find a discreet way of contacting anyone who will be willing to help us in the future. A war is coming Miko, we can't stop it or avoid it. Hades will stop at nothing and won't care who he harms in his path." Miko nodded, a face full of concentration.

"Alright, I will talk to the Alpha here and the others in our group. Who, by the way, are waiting to see you and Henrik. I wanted to wait for you to wake up before bringing anyone in to properly meet him. After passing out downstairs I brought you both straight up here, I haven't really left. Cloé has been bringing food and warm bottles up while you've been resting."

"Okay, I'd like to see everyone. And have them properly meet Henrik." I smiled softly, looking down at this beautiful little boy in my arms. Kissing him once more, it settled me greatly knowing he was really here, that it was just a dream. "Bring them in love, and make sure Cloé has food too." I joked. Miko laughed, nodding and kissing my forehead before getting up and leaving the room. Looking down at Henrik, being completely enraptured by his little features I couldn't help but get this tingling feeling. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew. It was why I was called to, being told to protect him; which I vowed to myself and to my son I would do until it killed me. Because that wasn't just a dream.

It was a promise.