Confessions

CARDAN

"It's you I love," he says. "I spent much of my life guarding my heart. I guarded it so well that I could behave as though I didn't have one at all. Even now, it is a shabby, worm-eaten, and scabrous thing. But it is yours." He walks to the door to the royal chambers, as though to end the conversation. "You probably guessed as much," he says. "But just in case you didn't."

JUDE

"I first started liking you when we went to talk to the rulers of the low Courts," I say. "You were funny, which was weird. And when we went to Hollow Hall, you were clever. I kept remembering how you'd been the one to get us out of the brugh after Dain's coronation, right before I put that knife to your throat."
He doesn't try to interrupt, so I have no choice but to barrel on.
"After I tricked you into being the High King," I say. "I thought once you hated me, I could go back to hating you. But I didn't. And I felt so stupid. I thought I would get my heart broken. I thought it was a weakness that you would use against me. But then you saved me from the Undersea when it would have been much more convenient to just leave me to rot. After that, I started to hope my feelings were returned. But then there was the exile—" I take a ragged breath. "I hid a lot, I guess. I thought if I didn't, if I let myself love you, I would burn up like a match. Like the whole matchbook."
"But now you've explained it," he says. "And you do love me."
"I love you," I confirm.
"Because I am clever and funny," he says, smiling. "You didn't mention my handsomeness."
"Or your deliciousness," I say. "Although those are both good qualities."

Credits: Holly Black