8: THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

Chapter 8: The Calm Before the Storm

LORELEI

WE thought the next round of the Whose Deduction
Show would still be in a studio, but the showrunners thought of a plot twist to spice up the game.

***

ALISTAIR and Jamie arrived at our apartment around three in the afternoon. Loki did not want to meet somewhere else kaya rito ang napili niyang meeting place. He hasn’t taken a bath yet when our two friends arrived in our unit. Ilang beses ko na siyang sinabihan na mag-prepare na pero inuna pa niya ang pagka-crack ng codes na ipinadala via email.

Loki already called his family chauffeur to pick us up from the apartment and drive us to the television station. Yup, the Mendez family has a personal driver in their employ. Ilang beses na rin siyang tinawagan ni Loki noon kapag tinatamad siyang sumakay ng public transport.

In a text message sent by Sir Michael B., he asked us to bring clothes good for a two-day stay. He did not disclose where exactly we were going. Kapag nasa network na lang daw nila kami ibi-brief. Jamie thought that we’re going out of town, like a resort or beach, kaya nagdala siya ng emergency swimsuit.

I don’t get her logic sometimes. Our goal there was to win the game, not bathe under the sun.

Huminto ang driver ng pamilya Mendez sa tapat ng apartment at tinulungan kaming ipasok ang aming mga gamit sa trunk. Loki sat on the passenger seat while the rest of us took the back seat. Jamie was not that happy dahil nalayo sa kanya si Loki. If only allowed, she would have shared the passenger seat with him.

We arrived at the network station around five in the afternoon. Our fiercest rivals—as Loki put it—were already in the lobby, dala-dala ang kani-kanilang luggage. I greeted them with a smile, which they reciprocated, while Al asked them how they were doing. Naki-kumusta na rin si Jamie sa kanila with matching fake smile.

Yeah, I’d like to think I know when she’s being genuine and not. Loki? He did not care about them. The only thing he cares about is beating them.

“Thank you for being so punctual. Pasensya na rin kung kailangan n’yong i-sacrifice ang inyong weekend para dito,” Sir Michael B. said as he shook hands with everyone. Nakasuot siya ng jacket na may logo ng station sa bandang kaliwa. “By the way, I want you to meet the head writer of this show, Arturo Cruz.”

Kumaway ito sa amin. Nakasalamin siya, nakasuot din ng kanilang station jacket, at may bitbit na tablet PC.

He gave me the impression that he’s some sort of nerd. As the head writer of this game show, he should be well read sa mga mystery story. Well, at least, that’s what I expect of him.

“Glad to meet the finalists of this game!” bati niya sabay hawak sa bridge ng kanyang salamin. “Let’s make the pilot episode of Whose Deduction Show a hit, okay? Don’t worry, may pakulo kaming nag-aabang para sa inyo sa next round.” We nodded.

Sana nga’y maging successful ang unang episode ng game show na ‘to. It would be a shame kung magpa-flop agad ‘tapos kami pa ang unang batch ng players.

“You might be wondering kung bakit namin kayo pinagdala ng mga damit,” sabi ni Sir Michael B. na napatingin sa mga dala naming luggage. “We’re not going to the beach. Hindi rin tayo magbabakasyon out of town. We’ve decided to set your ultimate showdown sa isang mansyon.”