Chapter 21

Ezra:

"Thank you so much, Ruby!" I thanked Ruby and then hung up.

I wish I could have been there for Carter, I should have called him. But I didn't. Why didn't I fucking call him!? Wait now I remember. Those to bastards wouldn't let me!

I looked behind me to see the two of them chucking rocks at each other around the fire. What retards.

"Dude, are you coming, we want to roast marshmallows!" Brodie called.

I walked over and they handed me a stick with a white marshmallow on it. I had to talk to Carter tomorrow, when we returned.

------------------

"Come on, pick up, pick u-"

"Hello?"

"Carter! I am so, so sorry, I didn't call you back, Noah and Brodie they were being dicks and wouldn't give me my phone," I told him.

"It's fine. I'm ok now. Ruby helped me out a lot. I don't know. I just blew up with Martin and things kind of just ended there." He sounded distant.

"It must have been really hard, it's ok. Want me to come over or do something?" I offered.

"No, it's ok, It's all good!"

"Ok. I hope you're ok, I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, love you Ezra."

"Love you too."

We ended and I felt a weight lift. It felt so much better now I had talked to him. I hoped he was ok though. Ruby said she fixed some things so that was a good sign.

----------

I watched Carter fiddling with his sleeve in class as the teacher was talking. I tried to get his attention but he wouldn't look at me, so I grabbed his arm and he flinched. He then turned to me with a pissed off look. At least he was looking at me.

I passed him a note that read "meet me in the boys bathroom". He nodded and I got up from my seat after asking Miss if I could go.

I waited for around 5 minutes before Carter appeared in the bathroom.

"What do you want-?"

Before he could finish his sentence I pushed him against the wall and smashed my lips on his. His were soft and kissable. He didn't react at first but eventually he kissed me back and closed his eyes. I don't know why I was doing this but I needed to cut him out of whatever he was worried about in class. He wrapped his arms around my neck and leant in closer.

I was cupping his face in my hands and wishing that this moment never end. I loved him so much. He was sweet, sassy sometimes, kind, generous. But I knew he had secrets, things he wasn't telling me. I guess I have to get to know him more but I'll have to find out sooner or later, right?

We pulled away and he was panting whilst I had a massive smirk on my face. He looked flustered so he pushed me away from him.

"Jerk," he murmured.

"Only for you," I cooed back.

"Do you need a ride for work this afternoon?" He tensed at the word.

"No, I'm good thanks." He said playing off his tenseness.

I shrugged.

He then held my hand as we left the bathroom and went back to class. I think he liked that more than he would admit. I smirked to myself.

The bell rang and it was finally lunch. I had propped Carter on my lap, he was really, really light. Like the weight 5kg weight you workout with, maybe less.

He was picking around with his salad whilst Brodie and Noah were chucking their Doritos at each other, and Ruby was... who knows where?

Me: Ruby, where are you?

Ruby: I'm coming, I just had to talk to my English teacher

I sent a thumbs up emoji and then put my phone away and wrapped my arms around Carter's waist.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah...I don't know. I know I seem really off. I guess I'm just thinking a lot about Martin...I feel really bad." He mumbled.

"I blew up at him for no actual reason.." he continued.

I nodded and then nuzzled my face into his neck.

"Well maybe you should talk to him. When you're ready of course." I offered advice.

If I was him, I would...maybe?

"Now, are you sure you don't want that lift to work?" I asked again.

He nodded his head firmly and then hopped off my lap and took his tray to the bin. He hardly even ate anything, in fact he didn't eat at all.

I had been paying closer attention to Carter's eating habits. I didn't want to come off as to nosy but he was seriously worrying me. He never ate anything, he was as skinny as a literal twig. Is he afraid of eating or something? No, that's stupid, how could someone be afraid of eating. Food is too good to be afraid of, too yummy. He came back and sat on the chair next to me.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Ruby coming into the cafeteria. She smiled as she greeted us all. She sat down next to Noah who was now ignoring Brodie who won the food fight.

"You boys are so immature, you know that?" She laughed after hearing the story.

She wasn't wrong. The two of them acted like siblings sometimes. Like...unidentical twins.

--------------

The end of the day came quickly and I saw Carter walking to his work. I pulled up next to him.

"Last chance?" I said, gesturing to my car.

He shook his head.

"I need the walk."

"Well, I feel bad," I said honestly.

He looked at me and hesitated before opening the door to my car. I knew that would get him.

"Thank you." He mumbled.

"No problem Cart," I began to drive in the direction of his work.

"How strong are you?" He asked.

That's random?

"I don't know? I usually win any street fights I get into." I deadpanned.

"What!?"

"I don't get into them now, but like in junior year I got in a few." I admitted.

"I didn't tell you because it's not something I'm especially proud of, I mean, I won...but that's not the point." I procrastinated.

"Why do you ask?"

"Oh- I was just wondering..." he waved me off.

I pulled up in the parking lot and kissed Carter on the cheek as he left the car, he kissed me back and waved as I drove away.