To Run or Keep Going - Ron

Bill's expression changed. He gripped my shoulder, pulling me away from the front of the post office and off to the side. "What do you mean? Did you see him in the cell?"

My hat fell off my head. "No." I said, picking it up.

"Were you followed? How much did she tell you?" His eyes went left to right, looking at the horses and people walking across the ditch road.

"Followed?" My head turned from the stable across the road to the small saloon two steps beside it. I couldn't gather what was going on from him. People outside the post office were looking at us from his frantic actions. I lowered my tone. "Bill, calm down. I don't understand what's going on?"

Bill bit his finger. "Okay, okay. What exactly did she say?"

"It's like I said earlier that Karen said that they took the southerner in the mountains."

"Did they see anything that he had or what he was with?" Bill asked.

"Karen mentioned nothing of the sort. She wouldn't follow me either, Bill, and she doesn't know you. Slow it down and explain to me exactly what the hell have you gotten yourself into."

"Okay, okay, but we can't talk here. Let's get on the road and make a stop. I have a camp nearby."

I nodded as Bill released my shoulder. It didn't change the uneasiness in his eyes. He walked towards the medicine wagon, and I returned to my horse. He pulled out onto the ditch road, and I followed beside him. We rode out of town. The sign above said, Leave Your Revolvers At The Police Office, and Get a Check.

The ride began quietly, except for Bill's occasional glance now and then.

"What have you done, Bill?"

"Business is just business, that's all."

I contemplated those words as the surroundings changed from plains to the forest surrounding us on both sides, and the number of people on the road lessened.

"Are you sure that it's the same southerner?"

"How many southerners are going to be on Yukrit Mountain, Ron?"

"I guess you're right."

"Make the turn here on the left," Bill said.

I followed what Bill told me and made the left, which led me to some tracks in the woods. The sun was shining from above. I reckon it had to be about mid-day, following the path I pulled ahead of Bill. I stopped by a camp where two men and a woman were seated, with pitched tents and drinking coffee. One was wearing clothes that resembled the old army, and the other looked like he had now turned into a man one or two summers ago. The woman wore a dress and was unladylike between the two. Behind them were horses. One was well maintained, and the other looked like it had seen a hard time.

"Who are you?" the older man called.

"I am with Bill?"

"What Bill? What is the code?"

"What code?"

Their hands drew closer to their barking irons. Bill pulled up behind me, getting off his wagon.

"It's okay!" Bill shouted towards them. He got off his horse. "He's with me."

I dismounted my horse. The two men regarded me again. "I mean no harm. I work with Bill."

The silent woman didn't seem to pay me much attention after Bill spoke.

"What do you work with Bill doing?" one man asked.

"I help him sell his magic bottles," I replied.

The two men laughed. "The famous medicine man of Bagha," they both said simultaneously. Their hands moved away from their barking irons and sat back around the camp.