010┆chapter ten

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

ten.      christmas

▬▬ "YOU WORE IT!" Mike laughed as he walked over to Cassie as she jumped out of her truck. 

"Isn't it amazing?" She grinned, looking down at the lit up Christmas tree on her sweater; Mike had made a comment about all of them wearing Christmas sweaters the last day before the break and Cassie loved her Christmas sweaters. "This one's my favorite!" Her smile was huge as she looked up at the boy, but it fades when she saw his plain black shirt. "You didn't wear yours."

His eyes went wide and he looked down, before covering his shirt with his letterman. "I-I couldn't-"

"Am I the only one that wore one?" 

"Yeah." He nodded. "But you look so cute." He added quickly and she rolled her eyes before walking around him and past their group of friends, none of which had a Christmas sweater on.

"What's wrong with her?" Tyler asked as he walked over to Mike, who stood watching the young Swan walk away from them. 

"We didn't wear our Christmas sweaters." 

"I thought that was a joke." The boy mumbled and Mike sighed. "She can't really be that mad at us." 

"She takes Christmas very seriously." He told him before they made their way into the school.

"Cassie." Mike whispered, leaning forward. "Cassie, come on. Please?" But she ignored him and doodled in her notebook ― it was the last class before lunch. "Cassie." He sighed, deflating into his seat. He really didn't think she'd be this upset about a sweater, it was, after all, just a sweater.

Cassie smiled small, not bothering to look at the boy, she knew that he'd have that crease in his eyebrows and his lips would be in a thin line; it was the face he made when she was upset with him. She wanted to glance back when she heard paper moving then the sound of his pencil moving across the it, but she didn't.